Three things...

alexl102

Learning... slowly!
Hi guys,

I have three requests, sorry!

First of all, is there a way to delete multiple sections of a route in one go or do you have to delete one at a time? My reason for asking is that I'd like to use the northern part of the East Coast Main Line route (probably from Doncaster up to York) to create a new route 'finishing' everything north/east of York- ie extend the mainline up to another, probably fictional station, and extend and build up the branchlines that come off that route too, but I want to delete everything south of Doncaster including KingsX because the map's so huge it takes a ridiculous amount of time to load and I never use the southern bit of it anyway.

Secondly, I currently have the UK routes of ECML, Scarborough to Middlesborough, Rosworth Vale and Fort William to Mallaig. Is there any way I can use Portals to run trains between these routes? For example, by joining the ECML at York to the mainline at Scarborough (and both have that line going off into portals at their respective ends, just missing off Malton and a lot of countryside in between) I could essentially run the York to Seamer & Scarborough leg of the transpennine express journey. Is that possible? In one way I'd love to join all 4 together but I assume it'd take a ridiculous amount of power on my computer's part?

And finally, but probably most importantly, does anyone know of any more Yorkshire/North East England/Scotland routes I can download for free?

I'd preferably like one of the following three but I'm open to any suggestions really:
- A branch line running through some small industrial towns, possibly in West Yorkshire- maybe even a recreation of the Worth Valley Railway?
- A Map based around a station such as York, ideally with large yards and some workshops, that has a mainline and a few branch lines- Unfortunately I can't seem to find a station on download station that has both bay and through platforms. A York or Leeds based map would be ideal.
- Something set in the Scottish Highlands similar to Fort William to Mallaig but possibly double tracked for all or part, so I can run trains in both directions. I'm not sure such a line exists in real life to be honest, but it's always worth wishing.

I'm sorry this is such a long message, and thank you in advance.

Alex

Alex,

See my answers below.

Hi guys,

I have three requests, sorry!

First of all, is there a way to delete multiple sections of a route in one go or do you have to delete one at a time? My reason for asking is that I'd like to use the northern part of the East Coast Main Line route (probably from Doncaster up to York) to create a new route 'finishing' everything north/east of York- ie extend the mainline up to another, probably fictional station, and extend and build up the branchlines that come off that route too, but I want to delete everything south of Doncaster including KingsX because the map's so huge it takes a ridiculous amount of time to load and I never use the southern bit of it anyway.

There is no way to do a multiple baseboard delete. This has been on the wish list for years. You can zoom out as far as you can and carefully delete the baseboards you don't want one at a time. Note the keyword here, carefully. There is no undo for removing a baseboard.

Secondly, I currently have the UK routes of ECML, Scarborough to Middlesborough, Rosworth Vale and Fort William to Mallaig. Is there any way I can use Portals to run trains between these routes? For example, by joining the ECML at York to the mainline at Scarborough (and both have that line going off into portals at their respective ends, just missing off Malton and a lot of countryside in between) I could essentially run the York to Seamer & Scarborough leg of the transpennine express journey. Is that possible? In one way I'd love to join all 4 together but I assume it'd take a ridiculous amount of power on my computer's part?

You sure can! Setup iPortals on the route. Each iPortal can then connect to the next one on another route. This technology uses the network and a server owned by Auran. Other users can give you the details on setting this up. This something I haven't tried or used yet.

And finally, but probably most importantly, does anyone know of any more Yorkshire/North East England/Scotland routes I can download for free?

I'd preferably like one of the following three but I'm open to any suggestions really:
- A branch line running through some small industrial towns, possibly in West Yorkshire- maybe even a recreation of the Worth Valley Railway?
- A Map based around a station such as York, ideally with large yards and some workshops, that has a mainline and a few branch lines- Unfortunately I can't seem to find a station on download station that has both bay and through platforms. A York or Leeds based map would be ideal.
- Something set in the Scottish Highlands similar to Fort William to Mallaig but possibly double tracked for all or part, so I can run trains in both directions. I'm not sure such a line exists in real life to be honest, but it's always worth wishing.

I'm sorry this is such a long message, and thank you in advance.

Alex

Sorry I can't help you with this.

John

You could buy Settle to Carlisle. There is also a superb freeware route Leeds to Sheffield but this does need SnC for dependancies.
A couple of years ago I split ECML from Peterborough to York it took about 3 days to do it. If you do, save very frequently and keep making copies of the route on a CDP. Peterbough to York is about 2/3rds of the route as it includes Lincolnshire if this were removed it would be about 1/2.

Ken

Back