set of rails in middle of track over bridge: does it have any use ??

hello??

so watching train videos on you tube one thing stuck to my mind and in the years pass why is there an extra set of rails making some sort of v shape in the middle of the track over the bridge. to me it serves no purpose it just sits there in the middle of the track someone explain this to me. its a v shape at the ends and straight pieces and makes the v shape on the other end <--------> some thing like that but with another straight rail connecting the 2 v shapes.

switchmen37

As I understand it, it is a hedge against a derail heading off the bridge. If something derails, it comes up against that extra set of rails.

hey 1611mac.:
yeah thats what iam talking about ok now i know guard rails, looked under wikipedia the link you gave me also thanks

thanks for the reply

switchmen37 :)

I'd be interested to know if Santa Fe Jct. has "Guard Rails." I saw this derailment on Virtual Railfan live when it ocurred. Note how everything pretty much stayed within boundries of the track though you can clearly see outside rails ripped up and pushed out. Since this is elevated track there is a good change there are "Guard Rails" but I really have no idea if so or not. The train wasn't moving very fast however. Not much momentum to carry it off. Regardless, it illustrates what railroads want Guard Rails to do.

Credit: Virtual Railfan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oyMx-ta_sY&t=113s

Last edited:
Back