running Trainz as a window

Antonyg

Does any one know how to configure Trainz so that it starts as a window and not full screen. I could look at my manual but it is buried at the bottom of a box some where.

Thanks
Antony

Does any one know how to configure Trainz so that it starts as a window and not full screen. I could look at my manual but it is buried at the bottom of a box some where.

Thanks
Antony

Hi Anthony

If you edit the trainzoptions.txt file in the TRS2006 directory and replace the line

-fullscreen

with

-windowCentered (Comment: You will notice this runs TRS2004 in a Window 800x600)[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]
-windows
-width=800
-height=600
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]it should give you the desired effect. Probably a good idea to copy the origonal file somewhere before you try editing it.[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]Frank
[/FONT]

Thanks
Antony

In your trs2004 folder you will find a file called trainzoptions.txt

back it up to another location where you know *where it is* ...

Open trainzoptions.txt in Notepad

in the line which says

-fullscreen

you change this to say

-windowed

Here is an extract from the manual

-fullscreen
Causes Trainz to take over the chosen display. This is the preferred mode.
-windowed
Causes Trainz to run in a window. This is useful for debugging, however may result in reduced frame rate and cause visual 'stutters', especially in DirectX mode.
Despite the warning from the manual, windowed mode works well, and on my computer, displays as 800x600

Last edited:
Here is what I have in mine :)

-windowed
-WindowPosY=0
-WindowPosx=0
rem-fullscreen

and when fullscreen

rem-windowed
rem-WindowPosY=0
rem-WindowPosx=0
-fullscreen

Cutting and pasting the 'rem' is easier than re-typing every time I want to change, the WindowPos command puts the top left corner of the TRS window where ever you want it, 0/0 is the top left of the screen :)

And remember to alter your resolution to a size smaller than your desktop when in windowed mode

Cheers David

I have needed this...

:cool: This could be useful for viewing topo maps and satellite images whilst in Surveyor.

Back