Replacing the faulty trees in Midwest Grain

whywon

I'm updating the Midwest Grain route from JR and am having trouble figuring out how to replace the faulty trees. I've been watching this video by N3V on repeat https://youtu.be/hv_9Dp9XKmU, but I'm getting nowhere. After searching the forums, I see that some of you have successfully replaced these trees but didn't see an explanation for the method. Anyone care to share? Thanks.

Last edited:
What some people do is (if possible) load the route in the original game it was made for (IIRC route was made for eithere TS2010 or TS12) and use the bulk replacement tool to replace the trees in that game with a place holder item (like CL's 2D trees). They would then import it into the later version like TANE, 19, or 22 and use bulk replacement with another tree like RMM's trees.

Another thing they might do since they don't have the game verison for the route is use the delete mission assets feature and plant their own trees on the route.

Both methods do work :D

Cheers

Another method I have used with some success is to take more modern trees such as rmm speed trees and clone them to the kuids of the faulty or missing trees. For each old tree you have to find a similar species and size for the replacement to clone

What some people do is (if possible) load the route in the original game it was made for (IIRC route was made for eithere TS2010 or TS12) and use the bulk replacement tool to replace the trees in that game with a place holder item (like CL's 2D trees). They would then import it into the later version like TANE, 19, or 22 and use bulk replacement with another tree like RMM's trees.

Another thing they might do since they don't have the game verison for the route is use the delete mission assets feature and plant their own trees on the route.

Both methods do work :D

Cheers

Yeah it looks like I'm just going to delete the missing assets and put trees in myself. I'm actually going to use your Midwestern Rails route as a reference for placement and for the tree models. Replacing the kuids seems long and tedious and I don't have Trainz 12 which was the last game these assets were supported by I believe.

Big fan of your stuff by the way! I use the Centrella often and am getting into Midwestern Rails, but the mega session I'm creating for it really bogs down my CPU since the map is so large. I like to play Trainz with one continous session per map because it ensures the gameplay is dynamic and not repetitive.

Actually, cloning replacements is pretty quick and easy.
First, if it is a faulty tree, delete it, but copy the KUID and keep it handy
Select the new tree you want as a replacement, under "Content" select "clone".
The clone will be "New asset" under your KUID. Find it and open-show in explorer. Edit the config.txt file.
replace your KUID with the KUID of the faulty/missing tree you are replacing. Save the file.
Move up one folder, then select the asset folder in editing.
Drag and drop into onto the CM.
Submit edits. Done. All the trees on the route with that old KUID are now new trees!
Once you get the hang of it you can repopulate a whole route in minutes.

RMM made TS12 trees that have TANE and up compatible equivalents.

Replace your Pofig Trees with RMM trees of similar shapes.

Go into TRS22 Content Manager and download all of RMM's trees. He has a lot more for TANE and up than were in TS12.

Import Midwest Grain into TRS22 and this should replace your old trees with new ones.

The alternative is to use the manual replacement which works but is a lengthy process. I did this to import my own larger routes and it took days converting the routes in order to bring them in.

I guess the "clone" feature was the key I was missing to repleacing the kuids. Never saw that mentioned in the N3V video. However, I still don't know what the Pofig trees look like to replace them with similar trees and their names and descriptions provide no context for that. The RMM trees aren't much better but at least they list height. I don't have TS12 so I can't go back, do an asset replace, and then import it. I guess I can randomly replace the trees with kuid swaps and then tweak them when I see the result.

Dinorius Redundicus posted a translation table here: https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...mm-English-translations&p=1440565#post1440565 It is a bit limited, as you do need to know the name of the pofig tree, such as osina, elka, or whatever. They are in russian, but so are rmm's speed trees, so they should translate across. Pofigs also have codes that translate to height in meters, so that may help.
Some of the codes:
Abh = small series
B = birch
Chy = Cypress
D = tree
Db = oak-tree
E, El = fir-trees
Gr = grass
K, Ks, Kt = bush
Kl = maple
Ph = peach
PL = plantain (banana?)
S = pine tree
T = poplar

This page may help some, you can at least see what they look like by clicking on the left column: http://www.doug56.net/MBC_2010_Assets/page23.html

I still ran into issues cloning and replacing the kuids, such as an error when trying to submit edits on the clones saying it couldn't be submitted because it has the wrong kuid. I ended up just buying Trainz 12 for cheap (runs absolutely terrible), bulk replacing the foliage in surveyor, and sending the route over to 2022. New foliage looks great and I'm in business to continue updating the route. Thanks for the help!

Prior to submitting the edits, did you drag and drop the folder onto the CM? It won't work if you just save the config.txt file with the old KUID and just try to submit edits.

Prior to submitting the edits, did you drag and drop the folder onto the CM? It won't work if you just save the config.txt file with the old KUID and just try to submit edits.

I did but I'm sure I did something wrong. Frankly, the whole process is a bit tedious and confusing to me, so I just took the easy way out by buying Trainz 12 and doing the bulk asset replace. It would be nice if the bulk asset replace tool would work on missing assets. The game knows something is there, so why can't it replace it with something else? Anyway, thanks for the help!

Dinorius Redundicus posted a translation table here: https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...mm-English-translations&p=1440565#post1440565 It is a bit limited, as you do need to know the name of the pofig tree, such as osina, elka, or whatever. They are in russian, but so are rmm's speed trees, so they should translate across. Pofigs also have codes that translate to height in meters, so that may help.
Some of the codes:
Abh = small series
B = birch
Chy = Cypress
D = tree
Db = oak-tree
E, El = fir-trees
Gr = grass
K, Ks, Kt = bush
Kl = maple
Ph = peach
PL = plantain (banana?)
S = pine tree
T = poplar

This page may help some, you can at least see what they look like by clicking on the left column: http://www.doug56.net/MBC_2010_Assets/page23.html
Hi friend
Thank you for totall details.

Back