No “F1” for session info?

gottagoodun

After a recent update, it seems that I am no longer able to use function key 1, F1, to access the Session Info dialog. I was helpful to acces things like the train list, industry status, etc.. Now, when I press F1, nothing happens. I’ve tried searching the forums, but have yet to find anything that would help resolve the issue..

Have any of you experienced this issue? What did you do to fix problem?

Thank you for adding the version and build numbers, it can make diagnosis so much easier.

I just tried the F1 key and its menu option (Windows Menu - Session Info) and can confirm that it is still working. It will show the last displayed Message Popup. If the session you are using does not make any use of the Message Popup Rule then nothing will be displayed. That has been the only way that I have ever used the F1 so it is no different for me.

Are you perhaps in a different session that has no session info? Not every session is setup that way. Some sessions are "free drive" where you do what you please and others my tell you what to do in the session description.

Are you perhaps in a different session that has no session info? Not every session is setup that way. Some sessions are "free drive" where you do what you please and others my tell you what to do in the session description.
No, it was nearly the same session that worked in the past.
But that question raises another: is there something that needs to be included in the session Rules for the ‘Session Info’ to be functional? …or the inverse: could there be something in the Rules that makes Session Info inoperable?

The only thing that is needed in the Session Rules for the F1 key to be functional is a completed Message Popup Rule.

If the rule is present but has not yet been completed (i.e. has NOT already appeared) then the F1 key will not make it appear. For example, a Session may have the first Message Popup appear after a consist has reached a set position on the track. Until that occurs the F1 key will not have any effect.

If a Message Popup has appeared and has then been closed, either through the user manually closing it or being closed by a Time Rule or other event, then the F1 key will "resurrect" it.

F1 also works with "Display HTML Page" (at least, in TRS19 it does). I routinely use it to allow the player access to the timetable or to the switch list for the session.

Thanks for the replies. I’ve never used F1 Session Info for messages or HTML info. I’ve only used it for access to rules I’ve added to session, i.e. Display Train List or Display Industry Status. In the past, pressing the ‘k’ key also invoked the info dialog box, with those rules/tools available.

So… I kinda gave up trying to run a large session without those tools, so I made backups, downloaded the latest installer from the TrainzPortal and re-installed T22. Same build number 122418, but now the F1 Session Info works. I’ve decided to rebuild a large route from scratch, but this time I’ll be saving and testing often, looking for anything I’ve done during modeling that would disable the F1 functionality.

Thanks for the replies. I’ve never used F1 Session Info for messages or HTML info. I’ve only used it for access to rules I’ve added to session, i.e. Display Train List or Display Industry Status. In the past, pressing the ‘k’ key also invoked the info dialog box, with those rules/tools available.

So… I kinda gave up trying to run a large session without those tools, so I made backups, downloaded the latest installer from the TrainzPortal and re-installed T22. Same build number 122418, but now the F1 Session Info works. I’ve decided to rebuild a large route from scratch, but this time I’ll be saving and testing often, looking for anything I’ve done during modeling that would disable the F1 functionality.
In the future, if something worked before but suddenly doesn't you might want to try a database repair. It's usually a last resort type thing to reinstall the application. You might want to do that anyway rather than rebuild your route unless you really want to.

Back