New article on Intel I7 and I9 crashes - motherboards

Apparently some motherboard makers are bypassing settings that are supposed to protect the chips, so that enthusiasts can jack the horsepower:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...s-motherboard-makers-for-core-i9-cpu-crashes/

Good Article Forester1,

Remember back in the day, when we told if you boost your CPU and or other items to get a faster Mother Board, heat and other issues, could burn out or cause unstable problems to occur. ?

"Overclocking also increases power consumption and heat, so you'll need to accept and accommodate those needs. Excessive voltage and heat can also result in reduced chip lifespan due to premature degradation if you don't stay within reasonable boundaries."

On my old 6 yr OLD ASUS ROG laptop, I have the ability to overclock, which I go up a 1/2 way, any further, I get lockups, reboots etc.

And for those Automobile folks, too much Nitrus in the Engine for to long, say bye bye Motor. :sneaky:

Thank you for sharing,

The tech publications make this out to be something totally new as if it never happened before in the life of system overclocking, gamers, and geeks willing to push their limits.

Some microprocessors can be clocked higher than others and this also changes over time due to the stepping, or batch-version of the chips. As the stepping number, or version goes up, the batches of chips have a higher success rate and fewer chips are binned because the manufacturing process for this chip model has been refined over time and like anything bugs have been worked out that increase the quality and yield of the product.

The binned chips are the ones that are set at lower clock speeds since they can't work at the highest clock speeds. The problem is people buy the cheaper chips and overclock them thinking that they can bring them up to higher speeds without issues. What we're seeing is people are going beyond the specs for these components and crashing their computers and most likely damaging the components. If components are stressed for long periods of time, their lifespan is decreased substantially.

As a hardware technician who used to work at the component level replacing integrated circuits and whatnot, we were taught that components need to work within their specs, otherwise there is instability and component damage. Today, more than 40 years later, this still holds true even though we have the ability to increase the operating voltages and clock frequencies within a range.

Even though my systems can be overclocked, I have never done so and my computers have lasted for years and usually die of old age or due to some other component failure not related to overclocking.

Apparently some motherboard makers are bypassing settings that are supposed to protect the chips, so that enthusiasts can jack the horsepower:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...s-motherboard-makers-for-core-i9-cpu-crashes/
If you want to hotrod your system, then AMD boards are the superior choice.
Intel's are designed for cool running stability, while AMD are designed to be run hotter, faster etc.

My setups have always been Gigabyte AMD boards with military endurance specs, high-end sound chips, and GTX/RTX GPU's, usually an OC edition.
I also like to run the super fast Kingston HyperFURY RAM sticks and CoolerMaster Triple fan Water cooling.

Zoom Zoom!

Rico

Back