My session won't start (2)

Hi, all.

Something is still missing in my tiny mind.

Thanks to JCitron, my basic problem has been solved. But. Let me explain:
1 - I create a closed track loop, say a full circle made of twelve segments.
2 - I remove one of the segments and now I have an open track path.
3 - I add a buffer at each end, a few trackmarks and signals in between and my very simple session (Drive to trackmark) works perfectly.
4 - I remove the buffers (they are no longer needed), I re-insert the missing segment, thus closing the loop, and I change nothing else.
5 - And my very simple session no longer works. It won't start, that's all.

How come ? Thanks in advance. I swear, I repeat I swear that I have never seen that kind of info anywhere. It can be found somewhere, to be sure, but it has escaped me.

Thierry

This could be the signals, or lack of signals, a broken track, or a missing lever somewhere.

With a loop, your AI will see itself in the way and will either sit and stare at its own rear or will move along at half speed depending upon how big the loop is.

For signals, try permissive or advance signals. I don't know what they're called in France. Here in the US, we have signals that have a small name bar below the head. These signals are used to subdivide blocks and allow other drivers to share the same line, and also to advance-warn, i. e. the advance signals to indicate to the driver that an upcoming signal is going to become red. This is done by displaying a yellow-flashing signal followed by a solid yellow, followed by sometimes a red signal on the advance signal, which finally indicates that the upcoming absolute signal is red.

Without that kind of separation or warnings in place, the AI drivers, and real human drivers too, will sit at a red signal until the next block is clear. This system works okay for short stretches but is not good for long lines with many trains.

A missing junction lever will send the AI into a fit. The good news is today the AI will tell us that junction xxxx is missing a lever. We can then find the missing junction lever and replace it in Surveyor. Sometimes, the junction lever is in place, but it's not quite where it's supposed to be or sometimes the junction-track has a slight twist in it that will cause the junction to not work properly.

My suggestion here is to expand the driver message box and watch what Harry is telling you. While he's sitting there, Ctrl-right-click on the locomotive and choose Drive, or drive to track mark if available. If there's an error, a message will be posted in the driver message area. "No path to destination", or "junction missing lever". This first means I can't get there from here, and the other is a missing lever as discussed.

Well, things have improved. As JCitron had suggested, there was a problem with signals and I have found it.
Now,my simple session is made of a nummer of "Drive via Trackmark X1, X2, X3" commands followed by a single and last "Drive to Trackmark Z" command.
I thought that having reached the Z trackmark, the train would stop but it doesn't. It goes on and will bypass anything and stop only before a red signal.
Is this a normal situation?
If so, I need an invisible signal that can be set to green, yellow or red either manually in Surveyor or programatically by driver commands in Driver.
Do you know of such a thing?

Thierry

Back