Mid Hants Railway Tawny(?) Owl Problem

Ok, here is a wierd one for everyone. Yes, its loosly to do with trains, in fact, it may affect the work on the Watercress lines Class 45 "Peak", as there are 2 of us that are becomming scared going back to the Peak after dark!

Anyway, the problem is that there is a Tawny owl resident in one of the trees, it seems to wake up after about 16:30 or so. I know one of our volunteers can be sarcastic, so this Owl is becomming known as "our friend".

We had the loco moved in recent weeks, to near the overbridge at Ropley's "Broken Toy Siding", which is right next to this Owls nest. If you walk by it, it hoots at you and in daylight, it doesn't do anything to you, it sits and hoots at you. I've gotten to about within 20ft of its vision, taken photos of it, even with flash and its totally fine.

After dark, its a completely different bird. It becomes the local terrorist! For a start, it will edge closer and closer to human life, the loco owner has said it was rather friendly with its first encounter but recently, its become very destructive. The bird attacks anyone and everyone it sees. Some unluckly volunteers and members of the public have come away with scars when the bird just simply launched at them and I even saw it launched at one of the volunteers.

The other problem is it (we think) it aims for the eyes, so I have been worried about my vision being lost, due to my eyes getting hit, that means hiding in the container with the door close, becoming scared.

Anyway, back to the problem, does anyone know how to deal with this bird and what is going on with it? It seems to just stay around Ropley shed (I haven't seen it as far as the Mannor yet!) and the siding and we do know it doesn't like the noise of locomotives, if they are out. So if the RAT and the Wine & Dine run regulary, I don't suppose this would be a problem.
Does anyone have any suggestions for this bird that will take no risks to launch at anyone or anything? Preferbly humane! (The closest I have got to it, is about 2ft, it perched on some air grilles belonging to the peak, with the door almost closed. It flew off as soo as I said "allo".

Oh, heres a few pics of it:
tawny1.jpg

tawny2.jpg

tawny3.jpg

(sorry for the poorer image quality, it proved near impossible to capture it in the shade, even with the increased ISO setting and putting my arms on the bank to sort of stablise the camera!)

Hi WEN

Sounds like a bite of a terror this one I have had trouble in the past when getting to close to a nest with young but never this time of year. one thing to remember is that all birds are Protected by law so your options are limited my best suggestion is to contact the hawk conservancy at Andover as it may be an escaped pet? other wise try the RSPB or BTO (british trust for ornithology) if this bird is attacking humans it may be that Destruction under licence is the only option although hopefully another method of dealing with it will be found.

keep in touch on this on as a wildlife manager this is a bit of an interesting problem

ttfn kes

This reminds me of the mockingbird that sits on the chimney of my house...if you step into the side yard beside the chimney, he will swoop at you and possibly even hit you. Best of luck with this, the only way we can distract this nutty bird is to fill the bird feeder on the opposite side of the yard, thereby giving him something to go do :p

Sounds like a bite of a terror this one I have had trouble in the past when getting to close to a nest with young but never this time of year. one thing to remember is that all birds are Protected by law so your options are limited my best suggestion is to contact the hawk conservancy at Andover as it may be an escaped pet? other wise try the RSPB or BTO (british trust for ornithology) if this bird is attacking humans it may be that Destruction under licence is the only option although hopefully another method of dealing with it will be found.

keep in touch on this on as a wildlife manager this is a bit of an interesting problem

Thank you for you comments, as I agree, it is an interesting one, whatever action there is, we are doomed one way or the other. I don't mind the bird getting friendly, but I am naturally going to hide from it if it starts attacking the volunteers. Even members of the public (at night) have been attacked by the said bird.

I am not sure if its due to people walking on their own, or it will do it anyway.

My main concern is loosing my sight, hence why I am hiding from it.

Besides from that, none of us want to hurt it, rather limit what it is doing, than move it on, if we can quite happy pass its nesting place in daylight, why not night time?

EDIT: One idea my father came up with, is loud noses. I've only done this once, that was a loud clap, sure enough, it moved away from the container. The other idea I came up with, is running Trainz with the volume on my laptop, whacked up max and then blasting a train horn (My Class 141 is useful for this) in the attempt to drive it away. Is this likely to work or is it going to get too used to this? Also, how loud does the sound have to be, before it will black the spot?
My father thinks it could be hungry, so would crunching up some crisps be useful even if it sends it hyper?

Last edited:
Thank you for you comments, as I agree, it is an interesting one, whatever action there is, we are doomed one way or the other. I don't mind the bird getting friendly, but I am naturally going to hide from it if it starts attacking the volunteers. Even members of the public (at night) have been attacked by the said bird.

I am not sure if its due to people walking on their own, or it will do it anyway.

My main concern is loosing my sight, hence why I am hiding from it.

Besides from that, none of us want to hurt it, rather limit what it is doing, than move it on, if we can quite happy pass its nesting place in daylight, why not night time?

EDIT: One idea my father came up with, is loud noses. I've only done this once, that was a loud clap, sure enough, it moved away from the container. The other idea I came up with, is running Trainz with the volume on my laptop, whacked up max and then blasting a train horn (My Class 141 is useful for this) in the attempt to drive it away. Is this likely to work or is it going to get too used to this? Also, how loud does the sound have to be, before it will black the spot?
My father thinks it could be hungry, so would crunching up some crisps be useful even if it sends it hyper?

As far as loud noise is concerned it is possible for it to become accustomed to this as with any animal.

if it is only doing it after dark it could be that it has a site problem or other injury that means it is having trouble hunting.

food wise owls are carnivorous and tend to stick to pray species such as mice, voles, and in the case of tawny owls squirrels.

I would suggest contacting the hawk conservancy at Andover here is a link http://www.hawk-conservancy.org/ I say this as they have years of experience with birds of pray and may know why this is happening.

hope this helps and keep in touch.

food wise owls are carnivorous and tend to stick to pray species such as mice, voles, and in the case of tawny owls squirrels.

Rats? I do know there are some rat/mice traps around Ropley depot, the black moulded plastic type, with the label "Poison" on top, so now you mention that, perhaps its due to this?

Rats? I do know there are some rat/mice traps around Ropley depot, the black moulded plastic type, with the label "Poison" on top, so now you mention that, perhaps its due to this?

could be, there usually are mice around in country areas and rats seam to live just about any ware. hope you get the problem sorted soon but if not let us know I would be interested to see the head case of an owl:D:D:D.

ttfn

WEN

One trick we use out here for our Magpies is to wear a hat or cap with eyes painted on the back, and perhaps ones that are reflective or made out of the glow in the dark stuff might help. To get over the worry of it having a go at your eyes, you could get one of those face shield things as then you wouldn't have to worry your face. We also find that holding a stick in the air works well too.

As you can tell though, none of them fix the problem, only attempt to deal with the results. We too are limited by law, so there are a lot of warning signs out here during the spring.

Cheers
Tony

WEN

May I respectfully suggest,if the problem persists,you take up kester's suggestion of Consulting the Hawk Conservancy at Andover,or the Owl Sanctuary at Ringwood. Either organisation would be only too happy to give advice.Speaking from experience,Tawny Owls can be very tenacious little so-and-so's,and in the best interest of the bird and yourself,I think these organisations would know the best action to take.

Regards Bruce

some interesting ideas

not sure about the tape but by the sounds of it WEN is trying to stop it not find it a mate:D

speaking to a friend of mine to day he says that tawny owls can be a bit funny any time of year although he has never herd of one acting quit so aggressively, his only suggestion is that its an escapee from a private collection and has lost its fear of humans

ttfn kes

Female Tawny owls will attack and try to get to your eyes, If you can't see em, you cant hurt em, during the breedind season, Feb to late July.
There is only one cure....Leave them alone.
I have worked with Owls for over 25 years and Tawny owls are well known for this.

There is only one cure....Leave them alone.
I have worked with Owls for over 25 years and Tawny owls are well known for this.

Generally, we do, I wen't back yesterday and there is now 2 (we think!) on site, one wasn't heard or seen, but the other did make its presence felt in daylight. It is next to the running line, so it must get distracted when it was rostering, if not by us, it would be the track gang, 5 of them had their equipment and trolley out to do some (I think) jacking and packing. (They were also working next to our loco.)

The only thing we generally do, is use our power tools in the loco, which makes sufficent amount of noise and talk to each other. Apart from walking from the MPD to the loco in groups.

The only thing we generally do, is use our power tools in the loco, which makes sufficent amount of noise and talk to each other. Apart from walking from the MPD to the loco in groups.

HI Wen

Sounds like you are doing pretty well as much as you can the only other thing I can suggest if you have to go up to the loco alone is to wear safety specs.

I would say that if they have decided to set up hope in the yard then take it as an honour as long as they stay in the tree and don't move into the loco in spring it may also be worth while getting a tawny owl box put up in an area that is little visited and hope that they move in when they start breeding.

ttfn and keep us informed of progress

it may also be worth while getting a tawny owl box put up in an area that is little visited and hope that they move in when they start breeding.

ttfn and keep us informed of progress
That is a very good idea, can't think why I forgot to mention that *Hangs head in shame*:eek:

it may also be worth while getting a tawny owl box put up in an area that is little visited and hope that they move in when they start breeding.

Thats an excellent idea, I might scour the shed for some wood, I know where there is plenty, its old pallets mainly, used for starting steam locos. But I wonder if there is better than pallets.

If they do have their own nest, atleast then we won't be bothered as we'll be well out of their view.

Just out of curiosity, how big does the hole need to be?

sorry, just had to say this....

"theres only one way to get rid of an owl blow its b****y head off"

*thankyou Jasper Carrot :hehe:

But in all seriousness good luck with the owl box building :)

sorry, just had to say this....

"theres only one way to get rid of an owl blow its b****y head off"

*thankyou Jasper Carrot :hehe:

But in all seriousness good luck with the owl box building :)

Dohhh Someone had to.....:hehe:

Back