Load/unload

I did the industrial tutorial and had to load the lumber. Should have it so the industry has the cars ready and the caboose is dropped, the loaded cars are added and the empties are dropped to be loaded.

I am guessing that you are suggesting that:-
  1. a rake of loaded lumber wagons should be waiting in a siding when the train with a consist of empty wagons arrives
  2. the train drops the empty wagons in a storage siding
  3. the loco attaches to the loaded wagons and the caboose
  4. the train moves off to its destination
That is possible and easy enough to do but not all industries (in the real world) work that way. Some will require that the loco moves the empty wagons through a loading point where they are loaded either individually or in small groups. No exchange of wagons takes place. It can depend on whether the industry has its own shunters (to move loaded and unloaded wagons) and the space (i.e. storage sidings) to make it all happen that way.

In any case, the session is a tutorial which shows you how to load and/or unload wagons. Something that you would not see or be able to practice if the loco simply swapped consists.

Last edited:
Trainz is not very prototypical unless you do a lot of your own session creation. A lot of the rolling stock and industries are designed to "load" and "unload" instantly before your eyes. It seems that people enjoy seeing a cut of boxcars all load/unloaod at the same time. Anyway... once you learn how to drive and do basic operations start learning about session creation and just do your own thing however you wish. Also, if you truly want prototypical ops emphasized over graphics send me a private msg (conversation). There's an alternative sim you might me interested in if you don't already have it or know about it.

It doesn’t bother me too much, and I realize that for a lot of industries the railroad does the switching. It may not drop or pickup as it passes, it may just move a few around.

Ops me thinks not prototypical, hobby me thinks that caboose just adds a lot of extra complexity. :)

Back