Compatibility With Trainz 12

cassidyj

Good Morning!
I am a new user, and I am getting ready to purchase Trainz 2022. My Dad has been using
Trainz 12 for quite a while and enjoys it greatly. My question would be, if I prepare routes
or other things in Trainz 2022, would I be able to share them with him to use in the older Trainz 12?
Thank you for any input about compatibility between the versions.

The answer is no, Trainz versions (with very few exceptions and TRS22 to TRS12 is NOT of one of those) are not backwardly compatible,

A great deal has changed in the data file formats used by Trainz since TRS12. With the result that T:ANE routes cannot be used by TRS12, TRS19 routes cannot be used by T:ANE and TRS22/Trainz Plus routes cannot be used by TRS19.

Each upgrade has added new route and map features that are not compatible with the earlier versions. The next update to Trainz Plus, for example, will introduce High Definition Terrain with a ground or terrain resolution down to 12.5 cm. TRS22, TRS19 and T:ANE only have 5m as their smallest terrain resolution. TRS12 only has 10m as its smallest terrain resolution.

Sorry to bring the bad news.

The 5m grid was introduced in TS2009. It was difficult to use as it required right clicking on the Add Baseboard button to access the dialogue box to choose the grid size. TANE made it easier to use by adding a box displaying the current grid size which you clicked on to open a dropdown where you chose the grid size.

Good Morning!
I am a new user, and I am getting ready to purchase Trainz 2022. My Dad has been using
Trainz 12 for quite a while and enjoys it greatly. My question would be, if I prepare routes
or other things in Trainz 2022, would I be able to share them with him to use in the older Trainz 12?
Thank you for any input about compatibility between the versions.

An alternative would be to nudge him into TS22. Check his GPU first to see if it is compatible, if it is you should see better performance in TS22 with the same distance settings and content. Most content from TS12 will run without any problems in TS22.

Cheerio John

An alternative would be to nudge him into TS22. Check his GPU first to see if it is compatible

Good advice but, as pointed out, check the compatibility of the CPU. TRS12 uses 32bit technology but T:ANE onwards requires 64bit technology.

Good advice but, as pointed out, check the compatibility of the CPU. TRS12 uses 32bit technology but T:ANE onwards requires 64bit technology.

You are correct of course but most CPUs since 2004 have been 64 bit ones and there aren't many PCs that are more than ten years old so it's quite unlikely to be a problem.

Cheerio John

Upward Compatible?

An alternative would be to nudge him into TS22. Check his GPU first to see if it is compatible, if it is you should see better performance in TS22 with the same distance settings and content. Most content from TS12 will run without any problems in TS22.

Cheerio John

I was also thinking about getting him the upgrade to TS22. Then we would both be working with the same version.
Now my original question would apply in the reverse direction....would he still be able to use all of the routes and things he has prepared
in TS12 once we upgrade to TS22, or would he have to start all over?
Thanks!

You can load TS12 routes into TRS22 just fine but there is a chance that some assets that work without error in TS12 might show as faulty in TRS22. It might be possible to update the faulty asset to a new version of the asset that works without error. Failing that then replacing the faulty asset is the solution. Since TS12 and TRS22 use different game engines, there will be visual differences between the two games. Older trees and ground textures might not look good in TRS22 and should be replaced.

Back