Back to Top of thread

johnarran

7018 Drysllwyn Castle
When looking at a long thread if you scroll back up, a link button, #Top appears at bottom right of Screen. This is very useful, but it would be nice if the button was permanently visible as per the old forum.

Can this be looked at please.

Last edited:
Your browser likely can do that.. On Mac using Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, CMD "up arrow" scrolls me to top and CMD "down arrow" to the bottom. WINDOWS uses the CONTROL key instead of CMD.

Last edited:
Your browser likely can do that.. On Mac using Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, CMD "up arrow" scrolls me to top and CMD "down arrow" to the bottom. WINDOWS uses the CONTROL key instead of CMD.
Useful tip Mac. However, when browsing I tend to use the mouse for navigation not the keyboard. Cheers anyway.
A fixed button in the footer is not hard to do.

On Firefox, "space" takes you to the bottom and "Shift-Space" takes you to the top. There is also an add-on called "Scroll to the top" you can download.

Bill

Useful tip Mac. However, when browsing I tend to use the mouse for navigation not the keyboard. Cheers anyway.
A fixed button in the footer is not hard to do.

Well... you could set mouse button then. Do you special mouse software or macro app? I have mouse buttons to do different things depending on the app I'm in. Just an idea.

When looking at a long thread if you scroll back up, a link button, #Top appears at bottom right of Screen. This is very useful, but it would be nice if the button was permanently visible as per the old forum.

Can this be looked at please.
On Windows Chrome I Use The Scroll Wheel on the Mouse or the Home and End Keys on the keyboard.

Windows Chrome/Firefox: To top with ctrl+pos1; to bottom with ctrl+end

P.S. Sorry didn't realise using without keyboard.

Last edited:
Reminder: He said he doesn't want to use the keyboard... Post #4.

Used to turn pages and navigate music but can be remapped using X-Padder or some other app.

Reminds me of the time I programmed entry screens for a management information database system in FoxPro. Every screen had pop-ups and drop-downs for all the different field values to be entered for each type of screen. This was a mac network, so I assumed it would be a great thing for users. I was called back five minutes after our area secretary tried it for the first time. "You do realize I am a touch typist, don't you?" Oops. Later I delivered a new version with all typable fields that I think were called verified fields? The list of valid entries was in the code, so she could type them in, but they had to be valid for the fields. Always know your customer! :giggle:

Reminds me of the time I programmed entry screens for a management information database system in FoxPro. Every screen had pop-ups and drop-downs for all the different field values to be entered for each type of screen. This was a mac network, so I assumed it would be a great thing for users. I was called back five minutes after our area secretary tried it for the first time. "You do realize I am a touch typist, don't you?" Oops. Later I delivered a new version with all typable fields that I think were called verified fields? The list of valid entries was in the code, so she could type them in, but they had to be valid for the fields. Always know your customer! :giggle:
I supported a system like that and then eventually had to use it myself. The users would complain that the system would "lock up" on them. They would reboot their PCs and end up leaving the database connections locked which required me, being the only support person in the company, to have to use the admin account to clear the connections. Many years later due to company attrition, I mean lay-offs, I ended up doing order administration and I saw why the interface "locked". The software utilized forms for data-entry such as customers, orders, etc. While not really an MDI program, some of the screens such as customer-lookup, would pull up a secondary selection screen. If for some reason the user clicked on the main customer-lookup screen by accident, this would lock everything up. After years of blaming the problem on user-error, it was actually the software that was to blame. If the main customer-lookup screen wasn't selectable while the look-up screen was active, this wouldn't have happened. When I mentioned this to my manager, he looked at me with his typical glazed over clueless look in his eyes.

There were many other quirks in the program that made it 100% un-user-friendly. Every new calendar year, we had to create a new company year. There were multiple settings that had to be duplicated before the data was moved forward. Once the data was moved forward, undoing a mistake was one awful and arduous task which meant we had to make sure everything was perfect beyond perfect before committing the changes. Well, for the decade that we used the program, we made a mistake 8-years out of the ten! One of the questions was written totally opposite of the meaning, making the yes mean no causing all kinds of haywire accounting things to happen. It wasn't until the last two years before the company closed that we got the process down because I made a screen capture of that particular page and then highlighted the correct answer. What was so hard about that?

Sorry for the OT, but one time I was supporting a complex of lumber and plywood mills, grading shacks, dryers, power generators, and multiple offices. We discovered that storing spreadsheets from Excel 95 on network servers sometimes went missing. It turned out to be a bug in Excel 95, but Microsoft said they would not patch it, they would fix it in Excel 97. But apparently our corporate office did not have the same issue, because they would not pay for us to upgrade as long as they were on Office 95. So I had to add up how many instances of Office95 we had in the region and hand my boss a bill for $25000 to upgrade everyone in the region for one stupid bug.

That sounds like the company I was working for. We were running old Compaq computers inherited from the Polaroid sale while management had brand new equipment running the latest and greatest. The old machines would run out of memory and corrupt Excel spreadsheets. We were using Excel 97 at the time. As machines died, I replaced them but it was a long haul for the rest of us. It was more irksome when my manager, the one with the stare off into space look, gave a brand-new machine to his spoilt brat son while I had a decade old laptop that made grinding noises and didn't always find its hard disks.

Back