(Another) D&RGW Narrow Gauge Guy

bigboydude

Howdy everyone! First post for this site since I've not been on here much. Joined in July because I had to register my serial #. But I wanted to introduce myself. I am yet another D&RGW narrow gauge guy. I've always loved it ever since I rode the Durango & Silverton way back around when I was 4 years old, with K-36 #482 being my favorite. Idk why but I love it. Since I'm a broke teen with very limited space and empty pockets, I can't afford to have a model railroad, let alone a D&RGW layout, with HON3 K36's being $500-900 each. I stumbled upon TRS2006 actually just researching the D&RGW. I found Prowler901's site and decided I needed the game just for that. After looking for a little while, I finally got a copy. My first route was a practice route, but ended up being cannibalized by narrow gauge track and became the rather flat and dull D&RGW narrow gauge. I have restarted, although it is more freelanced (sorry guys) since it is much easier to have an influenced route to add whatever you want to than go tie by tie (in my opinion). But I just wanted to say a quick hello and warn you that there's another rookie around :D

If your gonna do 3D modeling at any point, then the time thing sure is true! Lots of hours of learning you will do, to make engines by the two's! Anywhoo, in the more serious note. welcome to the Trainz Community, where a train is only a click away!

Welcome! If your starting a layout from scratch, search the DLS for authors "fishlipsatwork" and "smooz". Many years ago both of them created terrain only routes/layouts of areas around the country, but I don't know if they did any of the narrow gauge lines. You might find something to fit your needs.

Enjoy

...search the DLS for authors "fishlipsatwork" and "smooz"...
Fishlipsatwork did a DEM of the Durango & Silverton and the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic. Look with the names "Durango" and "C&TS".

Welcome aboard bigboydude! Get ready for all of your time spent in the digital world once you get started on a project!

Welcome to the wonderful (and sometimes wacky) world of Trainz.

I'd suggest making a freelance route for your first might actually be an advantage. It would let you learn the basics of route building, surveyor, scenery, and so on without the pressure of worrying if every little piece and part is true to prototype. Then when you feel comfortable - tackle a true to the prototype route.

Along the lines of a prototypical route might I suggest the Denver South Park & Pacific. I don't THINK it has been made as yet but the rare and unusual locos for it (2-6-6T and 2-8-6T Mason Bogeys) have been made by Togog and are on the DLS (a 2-8-0 also). Just a suggestion.

Ben

Welcome to, as Ben says, this wacky world of Trainz.

As a longtime route builder, there's a couple of things you might want to try.

Before you dive headlong into a new route, I recommend downloading a small one from the DLS and editing it. Use the opportunity to see what people have done, add your own textures, add a baseboard or two, makes some hills, valleys, plop in a bridge, a tunnel or two, and so on. This will not only let you try the tools of the trade it will also give you a chance to see how it's done. I did this over a decade ago and I've been at it ever since. :D

When you are ready to venture into the real prototypical routes, and if you are using a PC, I highly recommend investing in TransDEM. This is a $30, roughly, program available here. http://www.rolandziegler.de/StreckeUndLandschaft/startseiteTransDEMEngl.htm

With TransDEM you can import digital elevation information from areas around the globe, but more specifically for you from the National Geologic Survey (NGS) map server. Combine the DEM for the area you are working with, along with some historic topographic maps, and you'll have the routes marked out ready for laying tracks on. The best thing with this program is it will put the historic maps right into place on the DEM. There a is little fiddling needed to get this to work, and there is a bit of a learning curve, but it represents a whole new dimension to route building. This works even for freelance building as well because these files are fully editable in Trainz just like you added the baseboards yourself. I have taken actual DEM files and maps, and have put railroads where none ever ran.

But, before you make this giant step, try a baseboard or two as that will give you a chance to work up to a bigger project. Just like model railroading, the great ambitious plans that come out of that pile of spaghetti on plywood also happens virtually. With big projects, you can easily tire of placing track, buildings, grass, and so on for miles upon miles to fill a huge route. The good news with this is you can go about this process a few times without throwing anything away except for your time and a few electrons from your computer unlike a real model railroad where we can spend a lot on track, plaster, and plywood only to scrap it later - been there and done that a few times in my life on both accounts. :) The other good thing too about virtual modeling is you can take what you've already done, if you like it enough to keep it and add that to another route or section. When I built my first route in December 2003, I started with 4 baseboards. Out of that original section grew a small empire, which got upgraded and changed a few times along the way. The original route is still tucked away on DVD/CD somewhere, and the second iteration became the seed of the current I'm working on today.

Anyway, Don't be afraid to ask questions and feel free to post in the appropriate sections of the forum, such as the Surveyor and Operations for questions on how to do stuff. We will assist you with your new virtual world. :)

John

Last edited:
Thank you. I will definitely check that out because that sounds like a lifesaver. I did start with a big roundhouse and a short trip to a powerplant. Still learning quite a bit but I got a decent start. And I agree with the digital vs. regular model. I'll have a model railroad one day, but this will do quite nicely until then and beyond. Thanks for the kindness everyone. I will post pics. The one I just jumped into needs TONS of work but I am pretty dedicated. But thanks guys. Looking forward to chatting with you guys (and there shall be PLENTY of questions)

I have to agree with JCitron. Start with a small (a few baseboards) route then either expand it or start a larger one.

Remember - - - the Gorre & Daphid HO scale model RR started as a 4 by 8 foot sheet of plywood and grew into one of the premier Model railroads of all time.

Ben

Back