All about railways in Indonesia (beware of HD pics)

Intersting - Firefox won't display them, but Edge will... weird.
Looks like there is something wrong with your Firefox, because my Firefox show those images well...

Continuing historical facts about railways in Inspectie Afdeeling 1 (primary predecessor of Daerah Operasi 1 Jakarta), there is an interesting story about today's Matraman station :

lossy-page1-1024px-Viaduct_Matraman_in_Meester_Cornelis_te_Batavia_vanuit_het_zuiden%2C_KITLV_34673.tiff.jpg

As the above photo (originally archived by KITLV) shows, the stairs and roof located on the currently still in rebuilding existing track is the stopplaats (?) Kebon Pala that serves as the de facto predecessor of today's Matraman station, likely viewed from the northern side of viaduct. Unfortunately I can't predict the exact location of former stopplaats Kebon Pala, as the viaduct itself has been lengthened to accommodate additional lanes for Jalan Matraman Raya (Matraman main street), which completely erased the presence of its remnants today.

On the other hand, the stoomtram of Nederlands-Indische Tramweg Maatschappij or NITM were also captured in the same photo. According to the date (which is 1920s), I'm sure that this photo was taken few years before the electrification of former NITM lines by BVM or Bataviasche Verkeersmaatschappij (a product of amalgamation of BETM a.k.a Batavia Elektrische Tramweg Maatschappij and NITM, later nationalized after independence as PPD or Perum Pengangkutan Djakarta).

Looks like there is something wrong with your Firefox, because my Firefox show those images well...

Continuing historical facts about railways in Inspectie Afdeeling 1 (primary predecessor of Daerah Operasi 1 Jakarta), there is an interesting story about today's Matraman station :

lossy-page1-1024px-Viaduct_Matraman_in_Meester_Cornelis_te_Batavia_vanuit_het_zuiden%2C_KITLV_34673.tiff.jpg

As the above photo (originally archived by KITLV) shows, the stairs and roof located on the currently still in rebuilding existing track is the stopplaats (?) Kebon Pala that serves as the de facto predecessor of today's Matraman station, likely viewed from the northern side of viaduct. Unfortunately I can't predict the exact location of former stopplaats Kebon Pala, as the viaduct itself has been lengthened to accommodate additional lanes for Jalan Matraman Raya (Matraman main street), which completely erased the presence of its remnants today.

On the other hand, the stoomtram of Nederlands-Indische Tramweg Maatschappij or NITM were also captured in the same photo. According to the date (which is 1920s), I'm sure that this photo was taken few years before the electrification of former NITM lines by BVM or Bataviasche Verkeersmaatschappij (a product of amalgamation of BETM a.k.a Batavia Elektrische Tramweg Maatschappij and NITM, later nationalized after independence as PPD or Perum Pengangkutan Djakarta).
There is also a station called "Amsterdamsche poort" or "Kota intan" between Bandan and Angke station. There is no photos and documentations of the station during the operational days. A railfan and historian "Mr Maybi Prabowo" later found out the exact location of the station. The remains of station's original architecture is still in shape. Sadly, Mr Maybi passed away due to auto immune sickness he suffered in 2023.

Still, to this day, i can not find the photos of Amsterdamche poort during operational days. It remains a mystery to all of us how the station operates.

If you google it, you only find photos of Amsterdamsche poort station owned by private tram network (NITM). Well it is not far from there but still, it is not SS Amsterdamsche poort.

Sorry to be slightly OT, but generally showing or not showing of posted images relates to permissions available at the source of the images.

There is also a station called "Amsterdamsche poort" or "Kota intan" between Bandan and Angke station. There is no photos and documentations of the station during the operational days. A railfan and historian "Mr Maybi Prabowo" later found out the exact location of the station. The remains of station's original architecture is still in shape. Sadly, Mr Maybi passed away due to auto immune sickness he suffered in 2023.

Still, to this day, i can not find the photos of Amsterdamche poort during operational days. It remains a mystery to all of us how the station operates.

If you google it, you only find photos of Amsterdamsche poort station owned by private tram network (NITM). Well it is not far from there but still, it is not SS Amsterdamsche poort.
It is also the same for the 1st generation Tanjung Priok station, though having slightly different story after the station was officially replaced by the present 2nd generation building : while the 1st generation station building was presumed to be demolished some times after work on the expansion of Tanjung Priok sea port started, but I thought that it is located around here, if referencing to the aerial photo shown in page #16 of Staatsspoor -en Tramwegen in Nederlandsch-Indië (6 April 1875 - 6 April 1925) booklet.

From the documents and sites provided by Mr. Daveric, I found an interesting thing :

In 1920 the railway line from Angke directly took a turn toward Batavia-Zuid (which is technically the predecessor of Batavia-Benedenstad a.k.a Jakarta Kota), instead of the current route that went a bit north and running along the famous Jembatan Kota Intan before entering Kampung Bandan station. But unfortunately the trace of original right-of-way had been already disappeared from satellite photographs, since everything around Batavia-Benedenstad changed a lot after the opening of new station.

And in this evening, I brought you an unfortunate news from South Sumatra division (former Staatsspoorwegen op Zuid-Sumatra or ZSS) :

GICxGUVa8AAG0tA

March 7th, 2024 became a tragic day for South Sumatra Division, after a launching gantry crane for erecting concrete girder at the site of Bantaian overpass construction project went collapsed at 11.00 AM (West Indonesia time), hitting middle part of train #3051 (empty coal train heading back to Tanjung Enim Baru) running under the construction site and causing a number of coal gondolas went derailed and suffered serious damages. Due to this, train traffic between Prabumulih and Muara Enim became completely interrupted, but luckily there are no serious fatalities from this accident, as the direct victim is train #3051. Had the launching gantry and concrete girder collapsed when train #S9 (Lubuklinggau-bound "Serelo", normally running behind train #3051) passes there, there would be lots of fatalities...

From the documents and sites provided by Mr. Daveric, I found an interesting thing :

In 1920 the railway line from Angke directly took a turn toward Batavia-Zuid (which is technically the predecessor of Batavia-Benedenstad a.k.a Jakarta Kota), instead of the current route that went a bit north and running along the famous Jembatan Kota Intan before entering Kampung Bandan station. But unfortunately the trace of original right-of-way had been already disappeared from satellite photographs, since everything around Batavia-Benedenstad changed a lot after the opening of new station.

And in this evening, I brought you an unfortunate news from South Sumatra division (former Staatsspoorwegen op Zuid-Sumatra or ZSS) :

GICxGUVa8AAG0tA

March 7th, 2024 became a tragic day for South Sumatra Division, after a launching gantry crane for erecting concrete girder at the site of Bantaian overpass construction project went collapsed at 11.00 AM (West Indonesia time), hitting middle part of train #3051 (empty coal train heading back to Tanjung Enim Baru) running under the construction site and causing a number of coal gondolas went derailed and suffered serious damages. Due to this, train traffic between Prabumulih and Muara Enim became completely interrupted, but luckily there are no serious fatalities from this accident, as the direct victim is train #3051. Had the launching gantry and concrete girder collapsed when train #S9 (Lubuklinggau-bound "Serelo", normally running behind train #3051) passes there, there would be lots of fatalities...
it seems that vibrations from a passing train caused the girder to collapse. Moreover, the girder construction was problematic from the start.

it seems that vibrations from a passing train caused the girder to collapse. Moreover, the girder construction was problematic from the start.
It is certain that a procedural error in planning closure time for erecting girder itself became the centermost part of this accident, although no fatalities is still a better thing than having tons of fatalities (had the train that passes the construction site was the #S9, not #3051).

Beautiful Kuro !

Are they the same as thoses which were used in Netherlands ?

Cheers,

Philippe
The signal model is generally the same.

In Netherlands, this signal model was used by NS in 1923 - 1932.
Therefore, the regulations are different with those used in Indonesia, for example Hoodfsein (Entry Signal) in NS, lower arm indicates next signal aspect. Whereas in Indonesia, the lower arm indicates speed limit (30kph) and train track turning sign (diverge).

In my opinion, Indonesian version is simpler than the NS ones.

The signal model is generally the same.

In Netherlands, this signal model was used by NS in 1923 - 1932.
Therefore, the regulations are different with those used in Indonesia, for example Hoodfsein (Entry Signal) in NS, lower arm indicates next signal aspect. Whereas in Indonesia, the lower arm indicates speed limit (30kph) and train track turning sign (diverge).

In my opinion, Indonesian version is simpler than the NS ones.
Another difference is the ones used in Indonesia are largely having only one starting signal (sinyal keluar), except at large stations like Malang, Blitar, Sidoarjo, Pulubrayan etc (as of March 2024).

Regarding shunt signals, I don't know what design used by NS for those of mechanical signal type, but in Indonesia the type is "X-letter" ones (which comes from the fact that if a train is permitted to perform shunting movement the signal would show "X" shape) :

Semboyan_6B_PD3.jpg

The "a" portion refers to mechanical signal ones.

Back