A Big Thank you to Phil Skene

Pete --

It is possible to merge the later versions of "Austral Bay" with "IndustRail".

If you go to VanDenH at the extreme top right of the route and go into map view you will see that there is a tunnel with a 90 degree left curve leading out of the locomotive refueling depot.

To link the two routes together, remove the building that hides the entrance to the tunnel and the track bumper. Merge the IndustRail to Austral Bay and link the sections of track at the joint.

The time consuming part is repairing the disconnects at all interactive industries in IndustRail. You will find that at most, if not all, of the industries the track will be unattached at one end. Remember to also do the stations. It's a bummer of a task.

I actually found that such a massive route with so many industries, switches and signals really knocked frame rates, so I didn't include the tunnel section in PO&N. Of course if you want to you can add it yourself.

From memory (I'm not using my Trainz PC right now) the last version of Austral Bay also includes the BesideTheRiver and Mad River extensions.

Phil

Hi guys,

Phil is not a "Trainzer of the year", he's just a "Timeless Trainzer", with capitals. ;)

The capitalizing side of Alberte :wave:

Re using Phil's sessions

Hi All,
When I first started using Phil's Sessions I just got lost as well, there was just so much in there. Sometimes I wondered how the computer handled it all.
My first Phil Route was Austral Bay with Beside the River and Mad River additions. I really liked the open country feel of it that made driving very realistic. The other thing that I liked about his routes was no passengers!!! I like to haul long heavy freights, dropping off and picking up rolling stock left by other trains.
Then I found Urban Industrail 8a, I was in heaven, once I worked out where everything was.

I found the best way to tackle Phil's Sessions was to just use the main maps and the instructions in the selection screen with the aid of the Mini Map. I would search the map for the rollingstock and work out where it was in relation to my loco. By doing this I learned very quickly the relationship of the industries to one another and it didn't seem so complicated anymore.
Even though I have done all the sessions any times I still enjoy them and try to better the times it takes to finish them.

Unfortunately I may not be able to use his new maps as I am a confirmed 2004 owner/driver as it does all I want. I presume the new routes will be aimed at 2009.

Keep on Trainzing,:Y:
Mike

Downtown Traction

I have purchased TS2010 and drove the downtown traction route. And what a great route it is! Phil has captured the beautiful ugliness of industry perfectly! Thanks a lot from the Netherlands,

Wopke

Hi Phil,

Port Ogden & Northern works well in TS2009
Both of these are faulty
CityScene1,<kuid2:184151:224:2>
CityScene2,<kuid2:184151:223:2>
And they have the same error;
Error: Texture 'maincscape.texture' is missing or could not be loaded for mesh 'hash-7A\content cqs47c18240\CityScene1.im'.

Decker_SG_industry,<kuid:86528:38012>
This has the following faulty;
Dll scenery incline track SG,<kuid:86528:38105>
Error: Texture 'mtal clair.texture' is missing or could not be loaded for mesh 'hash-1E\content t208cd10763\Dll_Track_SG.im'.

I also renewed the Meat Packing plant to version 3
MeatPackingPlant,<kuid2:69695:106:3>

Hope this helps Phil.

I have also configured all the Industries, took about a month.

Pete

CityScene 1 and 2 were created by me for TRS04 and there these work like they are supposed to. For using these in TS09/10 use Pev's TGA tool (search forum for the link) to fix them and then these should work without the errors showing.

For those that would like to join routes together, you "merge" them in Surveyor (top left menu is where you find "Merge"). I did this with several of Phil's routes, it is easily done and as he uses mostly similar textures on his routes, they do not look out of place when running from one route to another.

Be prepared to find and having to join several loose track connections on the merged routes, usually near stations or yards (after joining together). If any terrain irregularities are on the joints between routes, these are easy fixed too. If levels of terrain (heights) are different, insert 1 or more blank base boards in between these joints to gradually get to the other board's level of height needed (if at all needed).

By memory, this was not needed for joining some of Phil's routes but I joined some other creator's routes on to these too were this terrain adjustment was required. In the end I merged some 250 or more base boards including some I did myself together to make my own monster route.

I also would like to thank Phil for creating these excellent routes, I have some portals on them which periodically release new trains to go from one end to another to disappear there when their journey is done, what joy it is to meet and wait sometimes and pass these trains when driving my own train around my monster route.

Thanks again Phil, you are THE MAN :wave:.

Cheers

VinnyBarb

Last edited:
I would like to sincerely thank a very talented creator Phil Skene.

I have been using his Port Ogden & Northern for some time now, and all this in TS2009. Apart from the already known TS2009 problems, the work that Phil has spent many hours creating is really excellent.

Myself being a Professional Railwayman, I understand how things work, and Phil has done a fine job to make everything not only look realistic, but function well.

By functioning well, I mean the design and implementation of the yards and sidings to make working in them more realistic. I have spent the last month configuring the industries to put out, and input goods in a well meaning way. I have tried to keep rolling stock to a minimum of varieties, but there are hundreds of items of rolling stock on the railroad, and dozens of locomotives.

No steam, had to remove them, another TS2009 quirk.

Thank you, once again Phil. Your talents in providing something very functional are most appreciated.

My thanks to Phil does not leave out credit for all the other Trainzers who have created realistic avenues for us to delve in to.

Pete :D

Hi,

I agree, like 1 trillion x's!!!!:wave: :D

I have thank Pete so many times now in so many years that I think I can type "Thank you Pete, so much" in reverse!! LOL:p

Pete is one of most nicest creative person I have come across. Also, any issue you may have with his superb route (for me, his route have always run smoothly in trainz here) he address immediately!

That's just my 2 cents!
Ish

R707,
I have these 18 steamers now running in TS2009:
ATSF #3700 4-8-2 Mountain,<kuid2:7592:10193:1>
ATSF 0-6-0 #9001,<kuid2:46075:6830:9>
D&RG #104 0-6-0t,<kuid:103021:1003>
Frisco 1522 4-8-2 'Mountain Type,<kuid:79097:1001>
GN 0-6-0 #27,<kuid2:7592:10174:1>
PRR #4557 4-8-2 Mountain,<kuid2:7592:10195:1>
SP #4305 4-8-2 Mountain,<kuid2:7592:10192:1>
SP 0-6-0 Switcher #1283,<kuid2:135744:1283:1>
UP #7000 4-8-2 Mountain,<kuid2:7592:10180:1>
UP 0-6-0 #4609,<kuid2:46075:6930:4>
2ftshay,<kuid:96914:200>
30ng 2-8-2 IF,<kuid:96914:2005>
30ng 2-8-2 OB,<kuid:96914:2010>
30ng 2-8-2 OF,<kuid:96914:2007>
30ng 2-8-2 WB,<kuid:96914:2008>
36ng Clearlake 12,<kuid2:96914:1200:3>
36ng Colorado & Southern 9,<kuid:96914:39>
36ng Murchison 8,<kuid2:96914:800:3>

Took some correcting to get them to show but worth it in the end. If you need help with any of them let me know here or email me.

Bob

I would REALLY like to get the 36ng steamers you listed to actually work. Actully all of them would be nice, but I just want to be able to use steam in Murch 2 without having to use DCC all the time.

Don't foget Phil got inspired by our good friend Jim "Sniper297" Ward for the MSTS version of the PO&N

I've got to say, the PO&N has to be my favorite route ever. I can spend hours lost on the route. Unfortunately, since older sessions won't run in TS2009, i've taken it upon myself to rebuild most of them with a mixture of RRmods, Sub-Par, and Sniper297's rolling stock and engines. It's actually quite interesting. I think i've got about 10 or 12 so far.

in other words, I've got to say Phil is one of the best route creators out there. If only we could convince him to build a heavy operations 3ft Narrow gauge route:hehe:

Hi Alberte --

A legend in my lunch time?

Good to see that you are still around. And that you remember me. But, prey, what made you resurrect a thread that is more than a decade old?

Phil

Back