Enhanced Interlocking Towers

chili46

I've decided to try my hand at these Enhanced Interlocking Towers (EIT) to setup blocks on single track routes. For the "most" part they are working, but occasionally a train will come to the beginning of a block and will not advance forward because a turnout of something is preventing the block from being cleared.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I've setup blocks before using triggers that have worked perfectly. It's a bit of a hassle to setup, but once it's working, there is very little, if any, maintenance required to keep them working. I was hoping that the EIT would simplify matters. So far, not so much so.

When you create the path a yellow line shows along the track. The path must cover the full length of the single section. The start signal is before the single section and the end signal is after the single section (this may be forward facing or the backside of the first signal it sees). This is set up for both directions. If you intend to use the junction to leave the single line it will need its own path from the same start signal.

All the blocks have two lines into one and on the other end one line to two. Signals are placed before the single track and just before the split to two tracks. This works on 99% of the blocks, however, there is one section that it doesn't work on. Entering the block from the left track sets the turnout and sets all the signals to proceed through the block. The right track does the same thing EXCEPT, the beginning signal is set to red and will never change.

I tried to add two images from Dropbox, but they won't load. :(

Edit: After a little more testing, it appears that I may be wrong on the 99%. I tested some other blocks that I thought were working and they are doing the same thing. It acts as if the block is not being cleared properly. I going to setup a test track with shorter blocks and do some more troubleshooting (a lot more troubleshooting).

Last edited:
The path must go beyond the split to two tracks. If you stop the path at the signal before it, the path will not control the junction lever. It also means that the end signal comes in the middle of the opposite path.
-----Sup1\
------------\__S2________________________
------------/
-Sdn3----/
Sup1 to Sup3 and Sdn1 to Sdn3. S1 = proceed, S2 = automatic, S3 = automatic (unless Sdn3 is facing away from you). You can also select to clear path as train progresses along path.

Last edited:
The path must go beyond the split to two tracks. If you stop the path at the signal before it, the path will not control the junction lever. It also means that the end signal comes in the middle of the opposite path.
-----Sup1\
------------\__S2________________________
------------/
-Sdn3----/
Sup1 to Sup3 and Sdn1 to Sdn3. S1 = proceed, S2 = automatic, S3 = automatic (unless Sdn3 is facing away from you). You can also select to clear path as train progresses along path.
Yes, yes. I know that.

Well, the test track works just fine. So, I guess the route itself has something causing the problem. I have multiple turnouts and signals on the test track just like the route has. The only difference is the length of the block on the test track is significantly shorter than the route. More troubleshooting... :sneaky:

Okay, got it working on the Atlantic Map. Sort of... It appears that you must show all blocks (the yellow tube) before saving for it to work correctly. If only one block of a multi-block setup is showing, then the one not showing won't work. Also, I've found that if a train triggers the block (but doesn't actually enter it), then it's locked until cleared by a train actually using it. Basically boils down to it's a good asset, but may have some issues.

It is locked because you have not set the path to clear on drive (following train progress along path). You have the default setting, clear on cancel (when path is complete or canceled)

I have several EIT’s in my Sydney Metro route to control paths through some of the complex junctions between the various lines in the network.

I use the Enhanced Interlocking Tower (KUID2:61392:8101:78) by pguy.

Sefton Junction is an example, where I have 8 paths defined between the four legs of the junction. You definitely have to set the paths to ‘clear on drive’ and ‘restore junctions’ as the default setting for all paths and ‘exclusive set names’ where necessary. The one EIT controls paths for 4 suburban up & down paths, 2 XPT up & down paths, and 2 freight up & down paths.

Another ‘trick’ is to have the ITSetpath command at the right place in the Driver schedule and use the PathTrigger if required. I usually set up the Driver Schedule to’ Drive To’ or ’Drive Via’ a trackmark or station outside the each end of the path.

Eg: Drive Via A, EITSetPath X, Drive Via B.

In some cases the EITsetPath command can be placed well before needed in the Driver Schedule as it is not executed until a predefined distance ( half a mile) before the path start signal.

The following wiki page is compulsory reading.

https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Enhanced_Interlocking_Tower

good luck – keep testing your setup as it is worth the effort.

PG

Good info. I was not aware of the EITsetpath option. I'll check it out. EIT seems like a good way to manage blocks between destinations, but also seems to have a high learning curve and possibly not as stable as I'd like. I'm a retired engineer so mastering this is a challenge and a goal of mine. I've always said "perfect is almost good enough" which can be a real challenge some times. Thanks for the info.

Should I use one EIT per block or multiple? I started out with one for each direction, but that didn't seem to work either. One EIT for both directions resulted in different, but non-workable, results too.

Last edited:
I prefer to be very perscriptive in setting up a Drive schedule and EIT paths so that the Driver has no options on which path to choose. Its much like in the real world where you use GPS navigation on a trip. Sometimes GPS will pick a shorter route which may not be suitable - I've ended up driving on 100K of dirt road instead of 110k of highway. Trainz route selection uses the same method.

I have a software programming background ( an old computer nerd!) so I also like the challenge of getting these often un-documented 'features' to work. I think the KISS principle applies - try to keep the paths and instructions as simple as possible. Its also often easier to 'debug' your setup if each EIT manages a specific section of the route - a junction or a set of cross overs, yard complex, etc.

Another of my EIT manages paths in and out of 8 platforms at Central Station country platforms. All inbound paths start at the same signal on the main 'up' line and finish at the platform trackmark. Outbound paths start at the platform and finish at a trackmark on the main 'down' line. There are about 10 'exclusive set' crossovers in this area. I set the inbound paths to have priority over the outbound so the main 'up' line is not bogged by consists waiting for a departing consist.

So far this works (fingers crossed !!)

The wiki page by pguy is an example to all others on how documentation should be.

as usual its trial and error, test and retest.
PG

One EIT can not read or see another EIT. All paths for the same area must all be in the same tower. Exclusive sets are the only links used that other EITs can read.

Hi

I use one EIT for a single line section as it makes it much simpler and avoids confusion as to which EIT is controlling what. I avoid using Drive to/via and particularly Navigate to/via as much as possible as these try to set their own paths which can clash with the EITs. Instead I use "Autodrive" which just drives the train and must have its path set for it by some method.

The latest EIT versions will now allow many paths to be set up - I currently have EITs with between 40 and 50 paths and it all seems to work without issue. The biggest problem is setting them all up.

Regards

Brian

Back