Half My Track Is Missing

lewisner

So in a computer rebuild last year I succeeded in vaporising several months work including one entire route and my CDPs were nowhere to be found. A copy of Trainz 2019 contained nothing at all. I gave up with for 8 months but returned recently with dimmed enthusiasm.
Last night I decided to do a little building on my Sunderland route to find that about half the track has disappeared by which I mean it has ceased to exist along with everything attached to the track. I've tried to use Bulk AAsset Replace and ran database repairs on both the game and the route. I can't go around replacing everything so is there any way out of this mess and why does this happen in the first place ? This is Penshaw station with track, platforms and signals missing.

Penshaw Station 18.4.24 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

This looks like a layer issue.
Have you tried switching layers from Route to Session?
If the tracks appear in the Session layer, select them and move them to the route layer.

I had a similar issue with large sections of missing track after I converted a route I have been working on for years to HD Terrain. I assumed there must have been some kind of faulty track dependencies as it was only one type of track but I have added it back now.

Kind regards,

Gary

I had a similar issue with large sections of missing track after I converted a route I have been working on for years to HD Terrain. I assumed there must have been some kind of faulty track dependencies as it was only one type of track but I have added it back now.

Kind regards,

Gary

Did you have to physically replace it ? I only use the one type of track so I don't get how half of it can be faulty.

Yeah I physically re-laid the missing track. There was a mixture of third rail and various standard tracks involved.

Actually, there are still a few missing patches I have only just remembered, luckily in a far-flung and no longer in use corner of the route. It looks a couple of the large stations have vanished. After years of putting off cleaning up probably 15 years' worth of missing dependencies I took the plunge and did Delete Missing assets but that would only have been AJS stations, which are still very much in use elsewhere...I think I must have had them accidentally stored in the session layer and then created a new session assuming the old session only contained rolling stock.

the worst section of missing track I still need to fix or scrap and rebuild this area as it is pretty out of date.
track I have relaid

Kind regards,

Gary

sounds to me like a hard drive failure is happening..... if items are disappearing its probably not enough memory on the Hard drive or the drive is failing to save files making it corrupted

Well there's some relief because I found an old installation of Trainz 2012 and the same route is in there and as a bonus all my Paulz Trainz locos and reskinned buildings are in there too so if I can save the locos to a CDP I can restore everything albeit with a few hours work. I have a 64 GB USB stick and will save everything to that. Hopefully I won't have the same problem again.

It's a Samsung M2 970 Evo. Not very old.
two to Five years is all you will get out of them for a life span especially in a prebuilt PC because you don't know when that part was built or manufactured date... Custom PC's are better because the person that built the PC knows when the parts were installed and bought.. Stay away from Pre-built meaning store bought PC's as they have a 5 year shelf life on them..... if your M2 is 3 or 4 years old i would look at replacing it before it fails on you without notice (I have had this happen and its not fun when you have to wait several months because the funds aren't available or the part is out of stock to fix your PC when you need it most).

b
Well there's some relief because I found an old installation of Trainz 2012 and the same route is in there and as a bonus all my Paulz Trainz locos and reskinned buildings are in there too so if I can save the locos to a CDP I can restore everything albeit with a few hours work. I have a 64 GB USB stick and will save everything to that. Hopefully I won't have the same problem again.
back up the drive and and Route in new version when done moving the files over!! this will save you in the long run

Don't celebrate yet. All of my routes have disappeared completely from Trainz 2019 and if I try to use Content Manager in Trainz 2012 I get a warning that my MyTrainz details are incorrect or I need to enter my product serial key. When I click on the Serial Key link and enter it, it says it is already registered. Re entering my username and password does not clear the red bar.

I think I've suffered enough tonight and will do something else. Goodnight.

But if I install it, it won't have any of my content on it ? That's the only reason I want to access it, to try and retrieve something from it.
Yes, you still have to go through the full installation in order to enable the accounts and be able to run Content Manager even if you don't use the program. I installed TS12 for the same reason and I've gone back a few times for other things over time.

Yes, you still have to go through the full installation in order to enable the accounts and be able to run Content Manager even if you don't use the program. I installed TS12 for the same reason and I've gone back a few times for other things over time.

Well for some reason my game didn't know that and I was able to retrieve all my own content and Paulz Trainz from Trainz 2012. Then I tried scanning my hard drives with Content Manager and I've rebuilt all my routes at a cost of maybe 5 hours electricity. In addition when it retrieved my M&DR route it included Little Driffield village which had previously disappeared. So I am OK until the next crash.

Well for some reason my game didn't know that and I was able to retrieve all my own content and Paulz Trainz from Trainz 2012. Then I tried scanning my hard drives with Content Manager and I've rebuilt all my routes at a cost of maybe 5 hours electricity. In addition when it retrieved my M&DR route it included Little Driffield village which had previously disappeared. So I am OK until the next crash.
Excellent news! It looks like the Trainz Green Men (TGR) have been at it again. Please create a CDP of the route just in case.

Back