ai being more human in a game all about trains

Is there any way to add ai in the trains and more importy in mildy edited quick drive sessions i do remember seeing something about destinations on the engines will that work?

Is there any way to add ai in the trains and more importy in mildy edited quick drive sessions i do remember seeing something about destinations on the engines will that work?
You need to set up a driver-session and not use the Quick Drive or Universal Driver Surveyor to set up drivers.

You click on your Route in the Routes and Sessions menu as you always do. Instead of clicking on edit route, you click on View Sessions.
Under the sessions, you'll most likely see at least one, or probably more default sessions. Ignore those and create a new session.

Give the Session a real name other than Default.

The world will look like it does in Surveyor when you edit your route, in fact it is the same except you can set up your drivers and edit industries to configure them. You can do that in the route-editing side of this but the settings don't always stick and when you edit the same in the session, the settings aren't in the session. Keep this in mind when you place trains. If you placed any on the route before in Surveyor, delete them because that can cause a lot of confusion later on and can sometimes cause crashes.

While here in the Session editing side, place a consist or consists you want your drivers to drive.
Click on the Edit icon on the top of the screen menu bar and choose Edit Session...

You'll see a screen with some stuff already there. Click on Driver Setup.
You'll see your drivers for the trains you placed before.
Put in the commands here for them to follow by clicking on the little arrows (caretts). Here you insert drive to, or navigate to commands to go to the various stations and industries, and add in track marks you placed on the route.

My recommendation is you open up an already setup Session to see how the session is created. This will help you a lot and I highly recommend you do this with routes too to see what people did to create their routes. You'll learn a ton and be inspired at the same time.

Setting up sessions in general is a very long process and the more complex they are, the more time it takes to troubleshoot issues and get them to work. Saying that, start simple. Create a simple layout on a single baseboard and get your AI to do what you want then expand from there.

Now, not to put the dampers on your enthusiasm. Setting up complex sessions takes a lot of time and experience. You'll have situations where you think you know what you want the AI to do but expect them to do differently. With situations like that, you'll be able to anticipate those situations and work out commands, track marks, and other things needed to keep the AI drivers from wandering too far off their beaten paths.

Is there enoug, etc you could have the AI piece together a route. As more information is assembled the reality of the route would improve. The environment would be designed based upon generally available geographic information. The econmic info on a populated are would lead to the design of towns and cities. Westher would cause landslides and floods. So a few years from now you would input the objective criteria and out comes a railroad designed with the latest data. Every day that data changes as does your railroad.

An addon layer for TLR. What we need is the hooks to weather info to dynamically manage it based on data from a weather bureau. Now if we can get each station from the real route to post the number of passengers awaiting a train >>>>.

A small program could do that with TV views of the platform and the interior of the station. It would take a month or so to train the AI to recognize and catalog the various passengers captured on video. :rolleyes:

Is there enoug, etc you could have the AI piece together a route. As more information is assembled the reality of the route would improve. The environment would be designed based upon generally available geographic information. The econmic info on a populated are would lead to the design of towns and cities. Westher would cause landslides and floods. So a few years from now you would input the objective criteria and out comes a railroad designed with the latest data. Every day that data changes as does your railroad.
That's too much work. You want something like a crown you place on your head and think about exactly what you want each AI driver to do and set up the industries at the same time using your brain power. This will avoid all the mouse-clicking and movement you'd normally need to do because that's so much extra work.

ah
You need to set up a driver-session and not use the Quick Drive or Universal Driver Surveyor to set up drivers.

You click on your Route in the Routes and Sessions menu as you always do. Instead of clicking on edit route, you click on View Sessions.
Under the sessions, you'll most likely see at least one, or probably more default sessions. Ignore those and create a new session.

Give the Session a real name other than Default.

The world will look like it does in Surveyor when you edit your route, in fact it is the same except you can set up your drivers and edit industries to configure them. You can do that in the route-editing side of this but the settings don't always stick and when you edit the same in the session, the settings aren't in the session. Keep this in mind when you place trains. If you placed any on the route before in Surveyor, delete them because that can cause a lot of confusion later on and can sometimes cause crashes.

While here in the Session editing side, place a consist or consists you want your drivers to drive.
Click on the Edit icon on the top of the screen menu bar and choose Edit Session...

Put in the commands here for them to follow by clicking on the little arrows (caretts). Here you insert drive to, or navigate to commands to go to the various stations and industries, and add in track marks you placed on the route.

My recommendation is you open up an already setup Session to see how the session is created. This will help you a lot and I highly recommend you do this with routes too to see what people did to create their routes. You'll learn a ton and be inspired at the same time.

Setting up sessions in general is a very long process and the more complex they are, the more time it takes to troubleshoot issues and get them to work. Saying that, start simple. Create a simple layout on a single baseboard and get your AI to do what you want then expand from there.

Now, not to put the dampers on your enthusiasm. Setting up complex sessions takes a lot of time and experience. You'll have situations where you think you know what you want the AI to do but expect them to do differently. With situations like that, you'll be able to anticipate those situations and work out commands, track marks, and other things needed to keep the AI drivers from wandering too far off their beaten paths
so like programing in a nutshell ahh ok then

That's too much work. You want something like a crown you place on your head and think about exactly what you want each AI driver to do and set up the industries at the same time using your brain power. This will avoid all the mouse-clicking and movement you'd normally need to do because that's so much extra work.
hey uh dont mind if i quote this every now and then?

ah

so like programing in a nutshell ahh ok then
so i did it and it worked idk how but it did
thanks now how i make make him fast
ok so a update he's going back and then now he stopped at one of points how oh my god he became Henry and there's not even a drop of rain

Last edited:
so i did it and it worked idk how but it did
thanks now how i make make him fast
ok so a update he's going back and then now he stopped at one of points how oh my god he became Henry and there's not even a drop of rain
ok so update update how does the ai work for the engines because im now convinced that the ai for the engines are drunk now and what i do to make sure that the engine goes in a loop forwards

ok so update update how does the ai work for the engines because im now convinced that the ai for the engines are drunk now and what i do to make sure that the engine goes in a loop forwards
They are drunk I thought you knew that. ;-)

You need to place track marks that you name and guide the AI along the path. Placing direction markers - the yellow ones pointing in the direction you want your drivers to go. This will prevent them from going back the wrong way.

th
They are drunk I thought you knew that. ;-)

You need to place track marks that you name and guide the AI along the path. Placing direction markers - the yellow ones pointing in the direction you want your drivers to go. This will prevent them from going back the wrong way.
thanks for the info ill try it out
side note can i add track marks awhile in drive mode ik its dumb but hey asking gets us smarter

Last edited:
is it the same thing that jcitron said?
Yes, this part of it.

th

thanks for the info ill try it out
side note can i add track marks awhile in drive mode ik its dumb but hey asking gets us smarter
You can but that defeats the purpose of setting up a permanent session where the drivers do what you want them to do consistently all the time.

You can but that defeats the purpose of setting up a permanent session where the drivers do what you want them to do consistently all the time
so its like a short thing but i can do the things in edit to make it go around a perfect loop correct just the put permanent track marks and then do the nav to make it so the train goes to selected stations in quick drive i mean i guess it all comes down in how you want to play the game i guess but still

so its like a short thing but i can do the things in edit to make it go around a perfect loop correct just the put permanent track marks and then do the nav to make it so the train goes to selected stations in quick drive i mean i guess it all comes down in how you want to play the game i guess but still
Yes, put the track marks down when you edit the route.

Setting up a permanent session means you drive using that instead of using Quick Drive. With a permanent session and drivers already setup to go about their business using Driver setup where you presetup all their driver commands, the session will run automatically without having to edit the driver command queue each time as you do in Quick Drive.

Yes, put the track marks down when you edit the route.

Setting up a permanent session means you drive using that instead of using Quick Drive. With a permanent session and drivers already setup to go about their business using Driver setup where you presetup all their driver commands, the session will run automatically without having to edit the driver command queue each time as you do in Quick Drive.
im gonna note this

Back