The end of Trainz

rhban

Since I "ungraded" to Mac build 123844, the game has frequently crashed during route building to the extent that I have had to force quit. This time, however, there seems to be no escape. The route I have been working on, which is nowhere near as big as the usual routes I have built in earlier version of Trainz, has reached the point where I can no longer reopen it. Whether I choose Accpt Changes of Ignore Changes, the game immediately crashes. Very sad. I'm guessing the new Hi Rez just eats up memory, and I've only got 8GB. Not sure whether I feel like starting a new route at this stage.

Have you carried out a extended database repair ? Lowered the game settings ? Ive had that sort of issue with one route years ago , i did get it to function eventually by opening it with the lowest settings. I am presuming you are using a silicon based Mac .

By Hi res, do you mean HD Terrain? You don't have to build in HD terrain. You can still use 5 and 10 meter grids. Later versions of Trainz have changed what the settings do. I found I had to lower my settings to preform the same as earlier versions.

Have you carried out a extended database repair ? Lowered the game settings ? Ive had that sort of issue with one route years ago , i did get it to function eventually by opening it with the lowest settings. I am presuming you are using a silicon based Mac .
I use the CTRL database rebuild every time I download anything.
By Hi res, do you mean HD Terrain? You don't have to build in HD terrain. You can still use 5 and 10 meter grids. Later versions of Trainz have changed what the settings do. I found I had to lower my settings to preform the same as earlier versions.
Since I can't open my current route, I feel I'm stuck. I'm not sure how to change the grid setting.

Do not hold down the CTRL, that selects the "FULL" sort.. The full sort takes about 1 hour "depending"

I use the CTRL database rebuild every time I download anything.

Since I can't open my current route, I feel I'm stuck. I'm not sure how to change the grid setting.
Lower your performance settings all the way. Then try your route again. If it works, you can try increasing the settings little by little. If lowering the settings all the way didn’t help, you may need to restore the route from backup.

I agree for the memory issue, even Tane struggles on some routes and playing normal having 8 GB. My advice is to expand your memory to at least 16 GB and start from there.

If he has a new Mac then there are no expansion options. It means buying a new computer. As I understand the new architecture, part of your 8GB is used for the memory of the graphics chip meaning it takes a double whammy by having to load in the route to Trainz and then trying to display the route. You can change the resolution of the grid on a PC by drawing a selection with the selection tool then click on the control widget and choosing Convert Existing Baseboards to > 10 m Grid.

I turned everything down to "low", restarted and took the 'revert changes' option. I had to add something to stop it saving as a Session, and as soon as I did, I lost all control and had to force quit again.
Think it's time to go back to tried and trusted trs19.

Think it's time to go back to tried and trusted trs19.
If you are going to reinstall TRS19 here's what I'd recommend

Once the installation is complete, launch Trainz 'TRS19' and choose 'Skip Configurator' don't choose either Low, Medium, High or Ultra. I've always chosen Skip Configurator even though I have a gaming laptop, but I've never ran into any problems with TANE, TRS19 and TRS22/PE

Restore your route.

hint: If you wish to use your route that you have spent countless hours on from TRS22, you can in TRS19. Just open the config file in Content Manager, change the Trainz-build number to for example 4.6 'Don't go any lower than that'. As you save your route in TRS19 this build number will update to the current Trainz-build for TRS19 when you are saving it as a New Route + Session

Sumit edits, export your route to cdp and import it into TRS19. Fingers crossed it works.... If you need help, just ask ;)

If you are going to reinstall TRS19 here's what I'd recommend

Once the installation is complete, launch Trainz 'TRS19' and choose 'Skip Configurator' don't choose either Low, Medium, High or Ultra. I've always chosen Skip Configurator even though I have a gaming laptop, but I've never ran into any problems with TANE, TRS19 and TRS22/PE

Restore your route.

hint: If you wish to use your route that you have spent countless hours on from TRS22, you can in TRS19. Just open the config file in Content Manager, change the Trainz-build number to for example 4.6 'Don't go any lower than that'. As you save your route in TRS19 this build number will update to the current Trainz-build for TRS19 when you are saving it as a New Route + Session

Sumit edits, export your route to cdp and import it into TRS19. Fingers crossed it works.... If you need help, just ask ;)
I don't need to reinstall trs19 - it's always been there! However, I like the idea of attempting to transfer my 22 route over, but I have found before that transferring in Mac is not all that simple: ie so far, I've never managed to do it.
To start with, I'm not sure what you mean by "config file" - I know tzarc but not much else. I recently tried to find out how big my file was, but was never sure I had found it. There are too many files with the same name and others that might be among the right one, that have meaningless names.

I don't need to reinstall trs19 - it's always been there! However, I like the idea of attempting to transfer my 22 route over, but I have found before that transferring in Mac is not all that simple: ie so far, I've never managed to do it.
To start with, I'm not sure what you mean by "config file" - I know tzarc but not much else. I recently tried to find out how big my file was, but was never sure I had found it. There are too many files with the same name and others that might be among the right one, that have meaningless names.

Sorry mate, I should had made it clear! Thought you would had known about the config file. A config file can be opened via Content Manager, filter to show 'My Content' find your route in the list, right click | Open | Edit config file text change Trainz-build to 4.6 save & exit the config file, right click on your route and choose 'Sumit Edits'. Right click and export your route to CDP, giving it a name.

To move over content, you generally can't move content from TRS22 to TRS19 especially if it's built-in to TRS22 or TRS22 payware addons. I wouldn't advise attempting to do it either, you'd certainly have a lot of missing dependencies or may cause something to break in TRS19 that's not broken.

To move content from TRS19 to TRS22
You will need either
WinRar, WinZip or 7Zip this will allow to compress the folders + files to backup 'hence so you can back it up to your backup drive'.

Navigate to your user data, I'm not sure where it would be on Mac or Linux.. By default on Windows it's
C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\N3V Games

%Username% is a code that Microsoft users, same as %temp% is another example, so it's completely safe to use..

Next open, TANE/TRS19 folder followed by build xxxxxxxx 'xxxxxxxx, means a unique code! It's NOT the same for everyone'.
Now, back up the following folders

Local
Original
Packages

If you build routes, backup

Backups
Editing 'IF you have anything inside this folder'.

Optional

Screenshots, if you wish to keep a copy of your screenshots.

Once you have backed up, you be able to extract using either WinRar, WinZip or 7Zip to TRS22\Build xxxxxxxx folder
Then you will need to log into Trainz first 'if not done so already!' Click on 'Developer' then 'Rebuild Database'. Allow this to complete and DO NOT attempt to play the game. Exit once completed, then reload Trainz and you can now play the game.

Note: If you are using Steam, make sure that you have completely exited the game before relaunching after the database rebuild.

-----------
DO NOT export payware or built-in content to CDP! I will mention this.

Well, I was just getting used to creating a new route in trs19 again. Miss the variable brush size, but at least smoothing really does create a smooth gradient, rather than just making bumps less obvious and ignoring any big bumps as when two adjacent boards are different heights.
Anyway, I will study what you've written and try it out, but what does 'export to CDP" mean, or rather, what is CDP?

... but what does 'export to CDP" mean, or rather, what is CDP?
A .cdp file is a Content Data Pack and is a Trainz-specific compressed file that contains Trainz content. Every asset you download from the DLS is uploaded and downloaded as a .cdp file. Generally, they are about 40% - 50% smaller than the actual content. Cdp files are also an invaluable way to archive, meaning back up, routes, sessions, and other content. Many of us use this method quite often when we're working on routes as a safety net so we have something to go back to should things get stuffed. It may mean we're behind a bit with the edits, but at least we've recovered.

To create a .cdp file you use Content Manager.
Highlight the content you want to add to a .cdp file.
Right-click on the files and choose Export to cdp.

A finder window will open on the Mac and an Explorer window will open on a PC running Windows.

A single .cdp will be named the same as the item you are exporting meaning the name of your route.
The default name for a multi-file .cdp is Content-archive.cdp and you can rename this file to whatever you want.

To install the cdp file, you either drag the file into Content Manager, or you use the File menu to Import Content Files ...

Back