UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

Cheers Mick! The straight flue versions will fit nicely on the S&D and were common throughout the country so between the 2 versions they'll find use virtually across any British route.

Cheers,

PLP

Great Western Railway Water Crane Oven 01
they'll find use virtually across any British route.
Okay?

16242-great-western-railway-water-crane-oven

MV_Great Western Railway Water Crane Oven HT
<kuid:206616:100648>

Great Western Railway Water Crane Oven
2048*2048 texture maps
Polygons Lod0 5,926 Lod1 1,638 Lod2 486

Great Western Railway Wasserkran Ofen
2048*2048 Texture Maps
Polygone Lod0 5.926 Lod1 1.638 Lod2 486

MV_Great Western Railway Water Crane Oven 01 HT
<kuid:206616:100649>

Great Western Railway Water Crane Oven with long single pipe
2048*2048 texture maps
Polygons Lod0 5,228 Lod1 940 Lod2 390

Great Western Railway Wasserkran Ofen mit langem Rohr
2048*2048 Texture Maps
Polygone Lod0 5.228 Lod1 940 Lod2 390

16243-mv-great-western-railway-water-crane-oven-ht

Looks good, Mick. I might recommend a third variant depicting a straight chimney with a shorter stack (about the height of the split-stack on the original model) for use with water cranes, as Parker's photo shows just such a use case on the prototype. I'm not terribly well informed on British railways, though, since I'm a dirty American who calls them RAILROADS! The horror! (Sorry, inside joke from watching Lawrie's YouTube channel!) Anyways, I'll let the more knowledgeable folks take over from here.

Thanks Rob, though I fear the S&D may have hit a rather large stumbling block. I'm building it in Trainz+, so I am naturally using HD terrain to take advantage of the capabilities as I don't feel 5m would have done it justice. While the results speak for themselves visually, the HD terrain has nevertheless pushed the file size through the roof. While I don't see this being an issue to hosting the route somewhere in the future, it does mean that editing and saving takes rather a long time. At the moment, I have reached Templecombe Junction no.3 and converted all the baseboards from Bath to Templecombe to HD terrain, so approximately 50% of the route is now HD and the remainder is 5m grid.

Unfortunately, the file size as it stands is just over 1,000mb and with another 50% or so to go, I'm envisaging a route well over 2000mb and that's before textures and scenery are added. Saving the route now takes around 2 minutes and this is only going to increase and to my eye performance seems to be suffering (though Trainz tells me I am getting 60fps still so that might be my imagination), so unless N3V somehow optimise the new HD terrain I fear that progress is going to be abysmally slow. If it gets intolerable I can see that I'll stop working on it altogether. At the minute I'm very motivated and with a marathon track laying exercise over the past 2 days I'm really in the stride of things at the moment but I can't help but feel that it will be somewhat in vain. That being said, I'm pressing on and trimming any baseboards that are unnecessary - I've trimmed quite a bit tonight and got the route down from 1,350mb so that's something.

Anyhoo, seeing as this is a screenshot thread... the first shows the new section of track laid; double track reaches Cole and single track reaches Templecombe at the moment, though the earthworks are yet to be done south of Cole. The second shot shows the entirety of the route and the percentage of HD - the lighter tiles are HD while the darker are 5m.

Y7Ic24B.png

O0Ngg9F.png

Cheers,

PLP

Thanks Rob, though I fear the S&D may have hit a rather large stumbling block. I'm building it in Trainz+, so I am naturally using HD terrain to take advantage of the capabilities as I don't feel 5m would have done it justice. While the results speak for themselves visually, the HD terrain has nevertheless pushed the file size through the roof. While I don't see this being an issue to hosting the route somewhere in the future, it does mean that editing and saving takes rather a long time. At the moment, I have reached Templecombe Junction no.3 and converted all the baseboards from Bath to Templecombe to HD terrain, so approximately 50% of the route is now HD and the remainder is 5m grid.

Unfortunately, the file size as it stands is just over 1,000mb and with another 50% or so to go, I'm envisaging a route well over 2000mb and that's before textures and scenery are added. Saving the route now takes around 2 minutes and this is only going to increase and to my eye performance seems to be suffering (though Trainz tells me I am getting 60fps still so that might be my imagination), so unless N3V somehow optimise the new HD terrain I fear that progress is going to be abysmally slow. If it gets intolerable I can see that I'll stop working on it altogether. At the minute I'm very motivated and with a marathon track laying exercise over the past 2 days I'm really in the stride of things at the moment but I can't help but feel that it will be somewhat in vain. That being said, I'm pressing on and trimming any baseboards that are unnecessary - I've trimmed quite a bit tonight and got the route down from 1,350mb so that's something.

Anyhoo, seeing as this is a screenshot thread... the first shows the new section of track laid; double track reaches Cole and single track reaches Templecombe at the moment, though the earthworks are yet to be done south of Cole. The second shot shows the entirety of the route and the percentage of HD - the lighter tiles are HD while the darker are 5m.

Cheers,

PLP
That's a real shame, seems to be a somewhat counter productive move by N3V. Hopefully you can trim it down to a more reasonable and manageable file size. Nevertheless, it looks superb so far!

Rob.

Really sorry to hear about this! Can you trim so that HD is only one baseboard each side of the route with the rest at 5m? Would that make a difference? I'm also interested to learn that you can do TransDEM to HD configuration, I thought it was limited to 5m.

Paul

Hi Paul,

You can mix the two, but there's a tear in the terrain where the two meet unfortunately. I did consider it but then I'd have to mask it all the way down which, apart from looking odd, would be a right pain in the backside so I opted for HD all over. I imagine that N3V are probably working on it in the background, otherwise their groundbreaking new feature can only be used for short routes. If they're planning on eventually phasing out 5m and 10m grids as I saw in an older post by Zec I think, the HD terrain will need to be robust so I imagine an update is probably being worked on. One can hope!

Cheers,

PLP

Really sorry to hear about this! Can you trim so that HD is only one baseboard each side of the route with the rest at 5m? Would that make a difference? I'm also interested to learn that you can do TransDEM to HD configuration, I thought it was limited to 5m.

Paul
The DEM was made using 2m resolution LIDAR data. Transdem can only export at 5m resolution though, so that's what the S&D dem as first exported to Trainz was at. Once it's in game there's nothing stopping you converting to HD to add the fiddly details close to the track manually which is what Tom's done.

The other equally important benefit (in my view) is that PBR ground textures look immeasurably better on HD terrain.

As PLP says, if you could mix the two it would be ideal from a performance and route size perspective, but you are left with an ugly tear along the join between the two. I'm betting on N3V solving the issue - or computer power increasing to the point where it is irrelevant - by the time the S&D is finished!

MV_Great Western Railway Water Crane Oven 02 HT
<kuid:206616:100653>

Great Western Railway Water Crane Oven with short single pipe
2048*2048 texture maps
Polygons Lod0 5,180 Lod1 892 Lod2 438

Great Western Railway Wasserkran Ofen mit kurzem Rohr
2048*2048 Texture Maps
Polygone Lod0 5.180 Lod1 892 Lod2 438

16281-mv-great-western-railway-water-crane-oven-02-ht

I hope you don't mind me asking PLP, but what are the arched over bridges you're using?

I note with interest your mention of converting to HD. I've made an entirely HD map for the new Trecoll bay but even with minimal scenery, it's having a big hit on performance. I was hoping to change my Embra Glesga route to HD under tracks only but discovered the 'tear' where HD boards meet 5m ones. Fingers crossed it's a known issue.

Cheers,
Innis

Hi Innis,

They're my own bridges, though not yet on the DLS - however if it's something you're interested in I'm happy to upload them. They are Sketchup models but they're only a couple of hundred polys so unless you had an entire baseboard jam packed of them you wouldn't notice a hit on performance. They come in various sizes but they are all made to fit either single track, double track or Malc's CL road series.

HD did have an impact on the file size, though happily I can say that the impact on performance was in my head. I did however find that painting over the DEM textures that come with TransDEM reduced the file size considerably, by around 200mb so that has had an impact. I now have over 50% of the route as HD with a file size of just over 1000mb so I feel I'm making progress.

Cheers,

PLP

Last edited:
Back