Session - Edit Config File Text

I just tested that by creating a new session for one of my routes and I added a few railcars to the session. I saved the Session only and exited Surveyor. Then in CM I opened it in Explorer and deleted the config.txt file. It would not let me submit the edited Session which remained as "Open for Editing".

I loaded the session into Surveyor and it informed me that the session had been changed and would I like to load the original or the altered session (i.e. the one without the config.txt file). I loaded the altered session and it loaded with the railcars present and nothing wrong (as far as I could tell). I saved it and exited Surveyor. In CM I opened it in Explorer again and found that the deleted config.txt file was present. It had been restored. I was able to submit the session without any problems.

I suspect that the config.txt file was restored from the original session in the same way that selecting "Revert to Original" will restore an edited asset to its original form.

Maybe I could rephrase my question.
If nearly all of the files content were to be deleted would it rebuild itself.
Anyway I will try it by making a duplicate of the consist in question and try it.
I will let you know the result.

I deleted most of the text in the file, saved and opened session ok.
It did not help my cause as it CTD again at , which I have not seen before, at the same position coming to rest at a station.

Deleting the entire config.txt file would be worse than deleting some (or most) of its contents.

Technically it does not rebuild the config.txt file. Instead it copies the config.txt file from the original session that you saved and submitted to the database before you reopened it and severely edited its config.txt file. When an asset is "Open for Editing" the original is still stored in the database and you are editing a copy, not the original. So if you do something drastic, such as deleting the config.txt file, or deleting so much of its contents that it becomes unusable, then it will not allow you to submit the asset and replace a perfectly good asset with a bad one - at least it did that in my case. That is the reason for the "Revert to Original" option when you submit your edits to the database.

Back