Very bad shadows?

jeffmorris

I have new computer with Windows 11 and RTX 4060 GPU. There is very bad shadows in TRS2022 Plus and I had to disable it. How can I fix the problem?

Shadows has always been off by default for me in TANE, TRS19 and TRS22! Try setting the shadows to 'Low', I've just tested it myself and it looks fair. Just because you have all the advanced specs in your computer doesn't mean to say to set everything 'HIGH' or 'ULTRA' LOL ;) My gaming laptop is pretty much low-spec but still does the job.. If you want something to complain about try using TS Classic 'No way to disable the dynamic shadows unless you disable the dynamic lighting'.. If only, Dovetail Games fixed that, the game wouldn't have the out of memory issue any longer!

Anyway, back on-topic ;)

I still run Trainz with medium-high settings. I find that even though my very capable RTX3080 can handle all the new bells and whistles, I find I get not only better performance, but also my computer and video card stay a lot cooler.

Shadows are to intense(black). They are 99% wrong. Too black. Just look out your window. If the sun is clear you still see shadowed ground details. Shadows are only absolute in a vacuum (and Trainz).

Shadows are to intense(black). They are 99% wrong. Too black. Just look out your window. If the sun is clear you still see shadowed ground details. Shadows are only absolute in a vacuum (and Trainz).
How many times do we need to refute this assertion? We have repeatedly provided assistance to you and others with instructions about how to set the environment dialog settings to ensure credible shadows and shadow details. And you have acknowledged that in these forums in the past. Why revert now to those earlier erroneous notions?
Remember: It all depends on how well you set the ratio of ambient light to direct sunlight intensity in the environment dialog palettes. Excellent, thoroughly realistic shadows are possible in Trainz with the application of judicious atmospheric and environment settings.

.Sorry, you are undoubtedly correct. I was considering getting a new display so this is a good reason to spend some savings.

Last edited:
A new monitor might be worthwhile if your old display is no longer functioning properly due to incorrect calibration, and/or excessive brightness, contrast and sharpness settings etc.
However, your current GPU, the RTX-3070 is more than capable of rendering photorealistic shadows in Trainz when driving a properly colour-balanced display device.
Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest nVidia drivers and have set up the monitor using their excellent nVidia Control Panel hardware-accelerated reference and colour-accuracy settings.
A good quality monitor will not require much in the way of overrides, if any, right out of the box.

Here are some sample images illustrating (I hope) the effects on shadows of adjusting the Ambient and Sun colour settings in the Environment Tools Lighting controls. In each image I have enlarged the relevant control to make them easier to see.

Image 1: Initial settings for the Ambient color showing current shadow effects.
Shadows-Ambient-Initial.png

Image 2: Initial settings for the Sun color showing current shadow effects.
Shadows-Sun-Initial.png

Image 3: Ambient colors set to MAXIMUM values. Shadows are slightly subdued.
Shadows-Ambient-Maximal.png

Image 4: Ambient colors set to MINIMAL values. Shadows are now black
Shadows-Ambient-Minimal.png

Image 5: Ambient colors are reset to their initial values and Sun colours are set to their MAXIMUM values. Scene looks more "washed out".
Shadows-Sun-Maximal.png

Image 6: Ambient colours stay at their initial values and Sun colours are set to their MINIMUM values. No shadows. This might be suitable for an overcast sunless day.
Shadows-Sun-Minimal.png

OK, I was almost totally focused on tree shadows cast onto grass. If I set that obsession aside my current settings are close to what I expect from shadowing using structures shadowing non-grassy areas. In fact my current accidental setting are very good observing a street with a building shadow and do mirror your illustrations.

MI optics was my problem.

Back