Handbrake application and release

PapaCharlie62

I have read some threads about handbrake application and release using shortcut key using the letter A, a comma, and semicolon (tip of the iceberg). They didn't work at all. I do know a lot of the original coding used for Trainz has been change by the designers (stop denying it).

That being said and done, My Question: Has anyone been able to use these keys in a mixed consist? I have not seen or read anything on that part. The only rolling stock that I have noticed that has working handbrakes are the models produced by Dave Snow (thank you very much for them). I have not tried every single piece of rolling stock and will not (proper coding will produce correct results).

I don't mind 'walking' down a cut of cars to release or apply handbrakes, I worked for 2 railroads in New England when I was young, and that was part of the job. And this is a game. So, if I must perform more 'brake tests' so be it.

Any thoughts or ideas?

The only difference that I've noticed is the air brakes are applied automatically when you uncouple from a string of cars rather than the old way of having to press "a" to set the brakes like in TRS2004. Isn't this correct for modern equipment? If I press "a" after uncoupling on a slope, the cars just roll away. I think this changed occurred a while back. Lots of people complained they couldn't "kick" cars onto sidings anymore as I recalled.

I always use a minimum reduction for cars being spotted (set out) before uncoupling (in reality the handbrake(s) are applied after the air brakes are applied). As for kicking cars (letting them go, give them a start, and the 'Flying Dutchman'): isolate the brakes, bleed them off (brakes), get the train up to speed, pull appropriate operating lever, and watch them roll away (hopefully).
I just tried kicking a MeC caboose and it worked on flat ground, as it should. And I have been having issues with that as well. Nice to know it's working again.

The 'Flying Dutchman' is hard enough to do in real life, and so far, I have not tried it here.

I always check out (inspect) the consist before departure (habit), that's when I notice the handbrakes still in 'Applied' state. I do that because of all the consists of the Maine Central Portland Division Part2/v2.

Last edited:
The 'Flying Dutchman' is hard enough to do in real life, and so far, I have not tried it here.

I always check out (inspect) the consist before departure (habit), that's when I notice the handbrakes still in 'Applied' state. I do that because of all the consists of the Maine Central Portland Division Part2/v2.
What is exactly the Flying Dutchman, you seem like a veteran describing these things like you are there and doing them, if you have the kindness to explain.

True, I have worked for 2 railroads in my past and had to do that one without a double-ended siding for a run around. Anyway, get the consist moving (make sure the car(s) are bled off, have the brakeman get ready (need at least 2 on the ground) to apply handbrake(s) when needed, pull the pin (operating lever), NOW HAVE THE ENGINEER OPEN UP THE THROTTLE TO GET OUT OF THE WAY (i.e. Haul A**). The car(s) will follow the engine, the conductor (or 2nd brakeman) gets off the engine on the fly, and lines the iron BEOFRE THE CARS BROADSIDE THE LOCOMOTIVE. I have done that maneuver twice in Waterville yard, Maine and was promptly warned not to perform that dangerous move ever again. I don't recall the amount of demerits that one cost me.

It seems to me risky method enough, from what you describe, i still try to understand what is the benefit of this maneuver, i mean it has to do with uncoupling and positioning the cars more faster?

Hi

If you're having problems with cars running away after decoupling then download "CDE Directional Speed Retarder", kuid:647907:100950 by "Christopher824" from the DLS.
Place one of these with the arrow pointing down the slope a couple of meters before the first car then select the ? icon and click on the trigger. Edit the speed to 0 and save and this will then stop any cars from rolling further down the slope when they reach it.
It was designed for use in automated hump yards but it is also ideal for situations such as this.

Regards

Brian

Hi

If you're having problems with cars running away after decoupling then download "CDE Directional Speed Retarder", kuid:647907:100950 by "Christopher824" from the DLS.
Place one of these with the arrow pointing down the slope a couple of meters before the first car then select the ? icon and click on the trigger. Edit the speed to 0 and save and this will then stop any cars from rolling further down the slope when they reach it.
It was designed for use in automated hump yards but it is also ideal for situations such as this.

Regards

Brian
Hello Kennilworth! I sent my good morning to United Kingdom, i will never forget our cooperation to make the br9f to appear and work with some patterns in Trainz 12. When i call risky method the Flying Dutchman, of course i mean in real life conditions, in game whatever the outcome shall be we have always the surveyor to correct the situation. This is the reason i ask PapaCharlie62 for this because he is ideal to transfer the action as an ex-railman.

I am not sure who came up with the move, but as it was described to me on my first railroad as a LAST OPTION. As mentioned previously, it is designed to get a car (cars) on the other end of a consist of locomotive(s). It's not for speed. We didn't have a double ended siding available to run around the train and this was the only option we had, nothing else.

Addition: If anyone does try it here, at least 5mph before pulling the pin, afterwards crank it up and get out of the way. As there are no real brakemen to get on the detached consist, then you could use the retarder mentioned or a standing cut of cars.

Last edited:
I have read some threads about handbrake application and release using shortcut key using the letter A, a comma, and semicolon (tip of the iceberg). They didn't work at all. I do know a lot of the original coding used for Trainz has been change by the designers (stop denying it).
Any thoughts or ideas?

I don't know the shortcut keys and in what version they work, last keyboard shortcut documentation I've seen is here at https://cdetrainz.com/tutorials_keyboard_shortcuts.aspx. As mentioned above you could use my speed retarder.

What I do know that I can add is that I've encountered train cars that do not have a handbrake option. If you right click on a car in driver, then detail, the popup will either show a handbrake option to set or release, or it wont (does not have one). This depends on the author of that car as to what script it uses. If the car does not have the hand brake, it may be possible to swap the scripts out with a desired one that matches the cars criteria.

Hope this helps somehow

I am not sure who came up with the move, but as it was described to me on my first railroad as a LAST OPTION. As mentioned previously, it is designed to get a car (cars) on the other end of a consist of locomotive(s). It's not for speed. We didn't have a double ended siding available to run around the train and this was the only option we had, nothing else.

Addition: If anyone does try it here, at least 5mph before pulling the pin, afterwards crank it up and get out of the way. As there are no real brakemen to get on the detached consist, then you could use the retarder mentioned or a standing cut of cars.
Thank you very much for sharing your experience now i understood better what happened. Interesting story from a person who was there, you managed to transfer the hole thing through your description. I send you my respect and wishes for a happy new year!

About 40 years ago, I watched some freight cars being switched at Metacross Street yard in Lowell, MA. There's a slight incline leading from the yard to the bridge over Gorham Street and a switcher was pushing cars with the crew uncoupling them and releasing the brakes to let them run freely down the track. I can only imagine a mess up and a mishap if the freight cars go moving a bit too fast.

Back