An alarm has to be raised

G'day,

I have a copy of RW floating around somewhere.
However I have never been able to use it for the simple reason that the lettering in the menu's is so small that I im comletely unable to read any of it. I am severely vision impaired.
I tried using a magnifying glass like I do with Trainz, but that was no good either, the font is just too small.
I have ny puter display set to 150% and this works fine in trainz using OpenGL, does not work with dirextX. Ok so the content menu's take up half the screen this way, but that's a minor inconvenience to ne.
So Trainz certainly comes out on top for me.

I like to thank my imaginary dog for typing this for me. Woof.

E.C.

Last edited:
To me TRS has been a non-event since day one, up to last year getting a more recent version, because of it's still abysmal looking unreal messy track turnouts, diamonds and other assorted track junctions.

O.K. there are third-party quality tracks from some like Raildumper but could not use them to replace existing default tracks easily like I can do with my Tracks Changers for MSTS and RW, his 3D-Camber tracks for Railworks throttling it's frame rates. :(

Speed Trees I have provided a fix for: www.otto-wipfel.co.uk/tz-downloads/ts2010-speedtrees-fix.zip

How does Auran or whoever owns Trainz now feel about RS.com calling their upcoming release of Railworks Train Simulator 2012 ? ;)

A bit close for comfort ?

O t t o

Cripes, who let the old vienerschnitzel in here?

Thought we got rid of you too, taking a break from that birdwatching simulator? :hehe:

Yeah, "rail simulator" name owned by EA, So "Rail Simulator Developments LTD" had to change the name of the game to "Railworks" - then they change the company name to "Railsimulator.com"? First off it sounds like a website rather than a company name, second the name would be more likely to be confused with the previous product, but I gave up trying to figure out "What were they THINKING?!" with them guys long ago.

Switches, yeah, it all comes down to the switches don't it? Trainz switches you have a choice between one that looks like a kid's cartoon drawing of a switch and a complicated fixed piece that takes a long time to assemble and still don't look realistic, but they work okay. Except the fixed switches can't be thrown in map mode. Railworks gives you beautiful realistic looking switches most of the time with no effort, but they work like a government employee, no effort by the player will budge them if there are AI trains running.

Hello Otto - welcome to Speed World -- Speed Trees, Speed Shrubs, Speed Grass. A real Speed Fix. I mostly agree with the original poster but how do those things help the multiplayer customer?

Thought we got rid of you too, taking a break from that birdwatching simulator? :hehe:

Yeah, "rail simulator" name owned by EA, So "Rail Simulator Developments LTD" had to change the name of the game to "Railworks" - then they change the company name to "Railsimulator.com"? First off it sounds like a website rather than a company name, second the name would be more likely to be confused with the previous product, but I gave up trying to figure out "What were they THINKING?!" with them guys long ago.

Switches, yeah, it all comes down to the switches don't it? Trainz switches you have a choice between one that looks like a kid's cartoon drawing of a switch and a complicated fixed piece that takes a long time to assemble and still don't look realistic, but they work okay. Except the fixed switches can't be thrown in map mode. Railworks gives you beautiful realistic looking switches most of the time with no effort, but they work like a government employee, no effort by the player will budge them if there are AI trains running.

The funny thing is the switches never bother me, perhaps because I used to draw them that way as a kid! :D

Anyway, I'm sure that Auran/N3V will eventually listen to the community, or maybe they are right now and not saying anything, regarding the look of the turnouts. This is probably something that will have to be newly coded, and takes a bit more time than buttoning up the interface.

The way I look at it is to let the track junction add-in function work like it does now, adding in a junction-lever track object, but also at the same time put in the other switch-track bits, whose names have completely escaped me right now. (I hate getting old and getting brain-mush!).

RW/or whatever it's called now seems to suffer the same ill that the original MSTS did regarding AI point control. Very frustrating when the AI traffic have the line tied up for miles, I mean many, many miles of mainline from Whitefish all the way to Glacier Park, and all the human driver can do is sit at a red until he shows up. This might be the way things run the real way, the argument probably is, but at least with Trainz, we can go off and do something else while the AI is coming along and tying up the route.

John

Personally, I LOVE Trainz due to several reasons:

• Abundance of 3rd-party add-ons (Railworks seems to lack this)
  • Ease of installing add-ons (installing add-ons to Railworks is a headache)
  • Ease of making sessions for pre-built routes (to make sessions in Railworks, you must build a new route, which I fail at)
  • DCC Mode (Railworks' controls are too similar to MSTS, which are confusing in turn)
  • Tried & true (Railworks is too new)
That's my arguement.

For one, I couldn't even imagine trainz with that kind of detail.:D But some games do have it, like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE_lnS7TfDI.[/q

that show what a video card can do,,,,,, ...

Sadly such a constrained environment, where the developer sets all of the rules and no content is 'unknown' at development time, is miles away from what a sandbox simulator built around 3rd party content can do.

There are very good reasons why the FPS-de jour can run faster and prettier than simulators like trainz and railworks, and those limitations aren't going to go away (it's not even really fair to compare a flight sim, where the landscape/scenary doesn't need to be seen 'up close' all the time), thus trainz/railworks/whoever-is-next is always going to lag behind the latest graphical game.

Hi djt,

Wow, Thanks for the link, that seems like the perfect place to spent the rest of my life doing modeling, seriously!
The sunken dirt road into the ground, I sat there with mouth wide open, wow, just WOW!!

Now, to figure out, is this a program I can get and work with, and in the case I find it as a yes, should I then still continue with Trainz, a program that until I saw this has been the closest thing I got to a program allowing me to make a virtual world like I in the old (as in my younger..) days did on a model railroad...

I'm still drooling, my mind wet bananas, the thought about doing a 100 year old area in that program, oh yeah!!
No more stupid big grid... LOL

Oh, I can dream, thanks for the info into the modern day use of computers!

Linda

Yeah, thanks djt, that link was very interesting, I went on their blog, but, there doesn't seem to be much movement for 2011, it all looks to have gone very quiet, is something still happening with this project??

As for the OP, I don't think Trainz is going to die for awhile yet, I'm sure NV3 have future plans, but, would agree with the general concensus of opinion that much needs to be improved and re-created, but, I suppose it's finding the money and staff to implement everything, otherwise, half of it would have been done by now, folks have been cussing since 2003/4/5/6/7/8/9.......:hehe::hehe:

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

Think you need thousands in spare cash to get hold of anything like that currently, as you said one can always dream though. :)

Yeah, thanks djt, that link was very interesting, I went on their blog, but, there doesn't seem to be much movement for 2011, it all looks to have gone very quiet, is something still happening with this project??

I haven’t looked at the blog but the forums in general over there seem to be pretty active because of the announcement of the demo that is supposed be released sometime this year.

There has also been mention of using this game engine for a train simulator, if you look around in the forums there’s a discussion about being able to create super elevated track in Outerra.

Here’s what a real sandbox simulator’s game engine can do when it is properly written to utilize today’s hardware -

http://outerra.com/wgallery.html

http://www.outerra.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=6

Beautiful - but as far as I can see it's a sandbox simulator without any content yet. Notice that most of the buildings seem to share the same texture set (something now possible in Trainz, but under-used so far).

Unfortunately, Trainz has far too much REALLY inefficient content available for it. I've found basic scenery items using 50+ materials. There are also buildings out there with 10,000+ polys and no LOD. If a route builder starts using these items in number, then no game engine is going to keep up.

Paul

Still no projecting headlights?!

I see they're still using those yellow circles they call headlights 3 ½ years and four versions later. :hehe:

Beautiful - but as far as I can see it's a sandbox simulator without any content yet.

Of course it doesn’t, content creation will be up to game developer who licenses the Outerra game engine for use in whatever game they are developing.

If a route builder starts using these items in number, then no game engine is going to keep up.

That’s the whole reason behind developing a game engine that properly utilizes the hardware. Take a good look at some of the videos at that site with an abundance of scenery and see if the game engine looks like its being crippled.

Last edited:
Beautiful - but as far as I can see it's a sandbox simulator without any content yet. Notice that most of the buildings seem to share the same texture set (something now possible in Trainz, but under-used so far).

Unfortunately, Trainz has far too much REALLY inefficient content available for it. I've found basic scenery items using 50+ materials. There are also buildings out there with 10,000+ polys and no LOD. If a route builder starts using these items in number, then no game engine is going to keep up.

Paul

I noticed the same thing with the objects and textures. Like in Trainz, there were no shadows around the trees, but the truck and the road sign had shadows. Canned shadows I was wondering. The scenery is nice, but I wonder how this would work in a train simulator like we know Trainz where it is a free-for-all environment. How much of what they have is developer-controlled, and how much will be user-developed, where as we know the quality can vary greatly.

There's one thing that bothered me. They at least could have used darker textures under the trees, which would have made them look as though they're part of the landscape instead of floating above. They're not floating, but because there's no shadow, it make them not appear to be in the soil.

Anyway you brought up an interesting point about the polys in models. This reminds me of a job I had quite a few years ago. At the time I was working for a company that created training videos and computer training programs for the plastics industry. At the time we were using MS-DOS and WFW computers on a small network made up of 1 P-90 and a few 486 workstations. These were fast computers in the day, and their main task at night was to render the animation files for the next day so the images could be imported into the video editing software.

Remember this was the day when 3D-Studio 4.0 for MS-DOS was the big thing. It was a relatively easy program to use, and in some ways puts Max to shame, but anyway, the 3d artist would setup the animation queue for rendering when we went home at night. What was interesting is the animation would only have a few hundred images output instead of the complete animation. The program was running 18 hours and barely had anything done!

We couldn't figure out what was going on. The company owner had me checking the network. The 3d artist had me running disk and memory diagnostics to see if there were issues with the hardware. Nothing was wrong; everything checked out beautifully.

Well finally after looking at the physical side of things, we did some model checking. The walls were hidden, then the scene was rendered. Same thing. The molds themselves were hidden. same thing. Finally we got to the machine its self.

It turned out that one of the long-gone 3d artists, a young guy just out of school, had made an animated injection molding machine. The machine was accurately modeled and animated very nicely. As the current 3d modeler went through the machine he found that the little, tiny, very hidden feet were overly built. Instead of having about 30 polygons, it was built with over 250,000 faces. It wasn't one small foot, but about 6 or 8 per machine, and the current artist had instanced the machines so there was a room full of them. Once these feet were optimized down, and the new instance models placed, the scene rendered perfectly overnight!

John

I noticed the same thing with the objects and textures. Like in Trainz, there were no shadows around the trees, but the truck and the road sign had shadows. Canned shadows I was wondering. The scenery is nice, but I wonder how this would work in a train simulator like we know Trainz where it is a free-for-all environment. How much of what they have is developer-controlled, and how much will be user-developed, where as we know the quality can vary greatly.

There's one thing that bothered me. They at least could have used darker textures under the trees, which would have made them look as though they're part of the landscape instead of floating above. They're not floating, but because there's no shadow, it make them not appear to be in the soil.
Keep in mind John that what you’re seeing is work in progress and just a development example.

One thing that is good about that site is the fact that the developers of the game engine are not afraid to answer any technical questions pertaining to how things are being done or how they will be done in the engine.

The game engines that are current crop of train games use can’t even begin to compare to the shadows and lighting in some of the latest videos they have up over there. The way the Outerra game engine utilizes the GPU is also way beyond the [FONT=&quot]farm implement[/FONT] like game engines we’ve seen so far with the current crop of train games.

I haven’t looked at the blog but the forums in general over there seem to be pretty active because of the announcement of the demo that is supposed be released sometime this year.
There has also been mention of using this game engine for a train simulator, if you look around in the forums there’s a discussion about being able to create super elevated track in Outerra.

Thanks, I've found the forum, seems to be a lot of shoot-em-up youngsters talking combat issues with guns and other weapons to travelling around the globe, with various weather patterns and a proper moon and sun to be built in to the game, it all looks quite innovative, unsure which developers may be interested in all of this and I see they use OpenGL more than DX, which could be a future advantage.

I'll keep watching this site.

Cheerz. ex.

Back